It was on the Miata mailing list. I don't have the link, but I did save the article. Here's the text:

From: snipped-for-privacy@usl.edu (Brian K. Dore') Subject: Miata heater core change Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 10:36:40 -0500

A couple of months ago, shortly after changing my timing belt, the heater core in my white '90 A (with A/C) started to leak. We probably bumped the inlet hose when working under the hood. Both the factory manual and the Miata Enthusiasts manual detail the removal of the dashboard. I found a better way. On the drivers side, there is a white plastic cover that is held on by a couple of phillips screws. Removing it exposes the core. One of the lines that extends from the core through the firewall is solid, the other is in two pieces with a heater hose and clamp holding them together. The piece with the heater hose is easy to remove, the solid side can't come out. So I cut it. About 4" from the core I cut through the line and slid the core out. It just barely cleared the steering column, and the main wiring harness had a bad habbit of getting in the way too. In my case, the core could be fixed, and I slid it back in, added a couple of inches of heater hose and another clamp, and I have heat again for those cool nights we have been having in the lower 50's.

By some strange coincidence, my radiator started to leak the day before I planned to bring it in to work on the heater. Turns out the rubber gasket between the radiator proper and the plastic top tank began to deteriorate. I had the gasket replaced and the radiator pressure tested at a local shop.

Next is a do-it-yourself top replacement.

Brian (with the Miata that thinks it's a Brittish car) Brian K. Dore' Systems Analyst University of Southwestern Louisiana Computing Center

Reply to
Roald Oines

Thanks, Roald.

One of my daughters was driving the Miata yesterday when the core gave out. She called and said the floor was full of "green stuff". Since this happened only a couple of miles from home, I decided to refill the radiator and drive until it got hot. Two refills later, I was home.

Today I need to pull the seats and carpeting out and (of course) the heater core.

For anyone who finds themselves in the situation of doing this, be careful of the hot water that leaks on your foot.

I realize that I could have bypassed the heater core in the engine compartment, but I was sort of time pressured and just needed to get it done.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

I have a 97M that is vaporizing antifreeze through the vents. I had it checked and its the core. I bought a used one and had it tested and will have it replaced soon.

My question is should I have my timing belt done at the same time? I did not think so, but I am not that familiar with the repairs for either. I have all the parts for the belt and wanted to get it done soon.

Thanks,

Lorne

Reply to
VAdude

They have nothing to do with each other. OTOH, it would save you an extra trip to the shop.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

One thing at a time:

  1. Leaking heater core - needs to be done now. Trust me, you don't want it to get worse.

  1. Timing belt - How many miles? If it's 60K+, then it's not a bad idea to do it. Suggest you provide a water pump at the same time.

The car will be out of service for a little while. Since you are depending on someone else to do it, probably best to get it all over in one shot. There is no relationship to these two jobs other than draining the antifreeze.

Ken

Reply to
KWS