HELP HELP battery light HELP HELP

Hey everybody, what does it mean when the battery light comes on? Is it the battery, the alternator, something else, is there any way to check? If I had got a manual with this thing I probably wouldn't be asking you this question.

Yours jp

Reply to
johnny p.

It means the alternator isn't charging the battery.

Reply to
XS11E

Maybe you have a lose belt and it slips when you first start the car? Check the belt tension first, it's almost free to adjust, you'll only be out some skin and a little blood....

Reply to
XS11E

Thanks a bunch for your quick reply. I was going to replace my battery but now it appears that the likeliest culprit is the alternator, and I can probably put off replacing the battery for another year or two. The reason I say that is the car turns over, and I assume that if the battery were so deteriorated that it couldn't be charged it wouldn't have enough juice to do that. The battery light only came on once, at idle, and it shut off when I revved the engine, so with any luck I should be able to drive it to the mechanic's.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.