help please - i have a leak

I own the 5 speed MAZDA Protege 2000, its at about 90,000 Km in Canada the fully loaded version.

Anyway over the past month I noticed there were some spots underneath the car, I though for sure it couldn't be from my car since I take excellent care of it, and just had it serviced for oil and transmission or gear fluid change about a month ago at Mr. Lube.

However I noticed that the drops are coming from my car onto the driveway!

The fluid appears to be similar to the new oil colour. My oil levels are full - no change.

The leak appears to be from directly under the engine but slightly to the left (to drivers side) about

6-12 inches off the center line of the longitude of the car.

Is this a transmission fluid leak, oil leak, steering fliud etc.? I can't seem to locate any info on the web. What do you guys think ? I have not checked the tranny fluid on the manual tranmission since I can't. But the oil levels seem above the F line.

Thanks

Reply to
BLUE WATER

My guess: Mr. Lube is really Mr. Sloppy, he spilled some oil when removing the old filter or refilling the engine and tranny, and now it's dripping onto your driveway. This is normal for such establishments--no surprise when you consider the average age, experience, and IQ of their "technicians."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Mr. Lube not screwing on the gear oil properly.

I went back and we located the problem. The leak is coming from the closure (bolt) with the gasket that is used to close the bottom of the transmission. It may not have been closed properly by the Mr. Lube technicians.

Anyway I am evaluating again for leaks now for the next 2 weeks. Mr. Lube technicians filled it up again, and screwed it on tighter this time.

Apparently about 250mL-1/2 Litre was lost over a 3 weeks period.

Keyword hits for the internet so others can know: MR. LUBE Mr. Lube Mr. Lube screw up. Lube Oil Mister Mr. Transmission Oil Gear Oil Mazda Protege 2000

Reply to
BLUE WATER

So it is better to service the car at the dealer? Or an independent, non-chain garage?

Reply to
223rem

Find a mechanic you can trust. That may be a dealer (unlikely, but there are exceptions), an independent, or yourself. Ask your local Miata club members where they go.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I've had good and bad service at small garages, chains, dealers, all of them.

I recommend going to a shop where you can stand there and chat while they do the work. I used to do this at a grease monkey. At the time I had a '66 pickup and would talk them through everthing I wanted done. Sure I could have done it myself, but I was in school and didn't have the time, tools, or place to do the work. Plus, they'd continue to top the fluids for the next 3000 miles (as they leaked out the bottom of the truck). I knew how many zirks needed filled, and verified that they topped all the fluids before I drove off the pit.

Yah, I'm off topic and rambling and this doesn't address messy mechanics, but I think cars are made to be driven and garages are made to park cars, not eat dinner. I'm going out to take a nap in my lazy boy by the washing machine on the front porch.

Joe

Reply to
Joe