High temperature - new radiator?

Hi all,

Since I've had my 1991 1.6 MX5 (just over a year now) when I get it up to

80/90mph in hot weather the temperature gauge goes up noticeably higher, to about 3/4 of the range (as opposed to about 1/3 otherwise). If I slow down the temperature goes down again, as it also does if I turn the internal heating up full blast which, I guess, allows some of the hot air to be drawn away from the engine. I've put in a new thermostat and have flushed the radiator but neither of those have helped. Could it be that the radiator just needs replacing? I would have thought that flushing it out would get rid of any possible blockage, plus that if there was a blockage it would cause the engine to heat up pretty quickly regardless of speed and external temperature, but who knows. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Nope. It could be partially blocked, working well enough until the system is stressed beyond its ability to cool. It's like having a smaller radiator.

Also, make sure your coolant fan is working properly. I had to replace one with a dead spot on the commutator--if it stopped in the wrong place, it wouldn't run again until a sharp bump nudged it off hte bad spot. That one was not easy to diagnose!

Reply to
Lanny Chambers