How would you like to find this?

Posted to the Austin list. This is supposedly a barn/storage building in Portugal that was locked up and welded shut for at least 15 years. Worth looking at for some of the old cars if you like them.

This would take forever to sort out, but what a fun job!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Most of those were current when I was a kid and some bring back memories.....

I'd love to be able to take a look in there in person!

Reply to
XS11E

The only one from my childhood is the Datsun Z, though it was a brand-new 280ZX that I remember an elementary school teacher driving to school.

The Z in the pictures is closer to what I had, and it is probably the newest car in that building.

I also have to wonder if this has been floating around for years, but if it has, it is one of the few things that has not been e-mailed to me at least 5 times... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Damn kids, I recall when the 240Z was introduced, heck, I remember when Jaguar introduced the XK120 in 1949, the first Corvette in 1953 and the first Thunderbird in 1955. I recall the stir when Austin Healey brought out the 100-4 in 1953(?) and Triumph the TR-2, same year.

I got it some time back, it has been floating around for awhile.

Reply to
XS11E

I fondly remember when such gems as the Beretta were introduced. I even remember the introduction and exit of the Yugo. My interest in cars started about 1979, so it was fairly bleak as far as new introductions for a long time, until about the early 1990's.

Most of today's cars are giving me the same feeling as the ones of the

1980's. Higher quality, but about as generic as they can be, and not good looking in general, imho, with a few shining exceptions.

Pat

Reply to
pws

The license plates on the cars that have them are in fact Portuguese.

I had never heard of this and I don't recall any report on car newspapers (but I don't read all, obviously). Curious.

I would like to know the history behind it. Probably a private collection but why was it abandoned ?

I am not very interested in classics for myself, but some of the Lotus would be tempting.

BTW, a similar story that I saw on TV once was in Cyprus. After the war in 1974 a stand full of brand new Toyotas (?) was blocked by the border. The owner could get there on foot, but was unable to remove the cars.

I was unable to find it on the web, but:

"The biggest tourist attraction in Cyprus, apart from the beach, isthe green line, a disjointed barrier of oil drums, razor wire, rustedcars and assorted junk that stretches from one side of Cyprus to theother. Manned permanently by Turkish troops on one side, Greek Cypriottroops on the other and U.N. peacekeepers in between, it is one of themost impenetrable boundaries on earth. Signs erected by nationalists andthe Turkish military keep the memory of war alive. At the nearby Museumof Barbarism, gruesome black-and-white photographs of mutilated childrenand a bathtub marked with the 37-year-old blood and brain tissue of ayoung family murdered by Greek insurgents memorialize Greek terror. " Hah, I found a reference:

"One Turkish Cypriot businessman imported 200 cars to Lefkosia a few daysbefore the Line was drawn. He parked them all in the basement of hisbuilding. When he was forced to flee, the cars stayed. The Canadiantroops lived in this building, and would throw massive parties inthe basement. As a result, some of the cars are a bit smashed up. TheCanadians pulled out of the peacekeeping mission in 1993, and sincethen some of the British troops have been restoring the cars for fun.They are all classic Toyotas with just a few kilometers on the odometer."

Reply to
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

I learned to drive on a Saab 93 - 1959 model with suicide doors, three on the column and a two-cycle engine. We used to pay $3 to fill it up - 8 gallons of gas and a quart of oil.

Iva & ?

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Well, at least I know there are some older codgers out here than me but, ya, Pat comes close to registering as a 'punk kid' ;-)

I've got to go back and look those photos over again, that was awesome. Thanks PWS!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You got it?! Cool The name will come to you!

Congrats Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro"

Cool stuff. Again, this is a great newsgroup!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Now Chirs,

Be careful about the "codgers" thing. I am 72 and leaning on 73. "Codgers" are "Older" guys :-) The question that "we" ask is, "what were you doing on December the 7th

1941". ............ ( I was roller skating ) Then we know how old you are. If you answer, " when ? ", it's a give away. :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

When? ;-) Hey, as long as there's older guys around, that's great and if and when there aren't, well, that's even greater!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Things hurt too much anymore to be called a kid, but I will never give up the title of punk, I'll just be an old punk instead of a young one.

Those are cool. With my interest in both collectibles and cars, especially the thrill of the hunt, I still can't believe that nobody has sent me that link before. I have helped about one person a year get online for the last 5 years or so, and they usually send me EVERYTHING that has been floating around the Internet for the last 10 years or so.

Pat

Reply to
pws

There was not a lot of information with this. I am guessing that the owner died and had nobody with interest in the collection until the land was sold. I am curious too.

Of course, they could have been stolen as well, but that doesn't look like a chop shop and that would be one eccentric thief to just leave them in there like that.

As actual driving machines of today, I am not that interested myself in most of them, but it is cool to see history. Airbags? How about plate glass windows and pointy steering wheels? Heh.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yes, I brought her home last Monday night. Yesterday she got a complete detailing, roof to rubber. and shines even more. Today, we did a 120 mile romp just to see how she handles the twisties.

It's amazing how different the handling is from the '90! She certainly dances around corners that the '90 used to worry about.

Hmmm, Dancer? Maybe. We'll see.

Iva & ?

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Are you suggesting we kill off the older guys?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Logan's Run?

I think that he is talking about the "look at the alternative to getting older thing", and that he hopes to be one of the "codgers" himself one day. The old people won't be gone, they just won't be old to him.

Of course, I could be wrong. Chris can be quite bloodthirsty.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'm suggesting we BECOME the older guys! Granted, it's a slow process but given my perception, the process is accelerating each day just a bit!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I've been thinking the same thing, what's wrong with my 'peeps'

Chris (trying to be a punk ;-)

99BBB

Tell me about it, I've got a brother-in-law that I'm itching to, how do you say..... kill-file? You know what I mean, 'block sender'.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Oh, you're going to start a big NA vs NB war, you better watch it! Those of us who've owned both (for more than a couple weeks ;-) will get two votes when the fighting breaks out ;-)

Chris formerly 92BB&T currently 99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo