I Finally Bought One!

04 Mazdaspeed with ~16k miles, grey.

All I was intending to do was go to the dealer with my golf clubs to see if they'd fit. They did, barely. Test drove it for a couple of hours, could not get the smile off my face. It's a peppy little thing. I'm sure you guys know the feeling.

I paid 15,600, down from the asking price of 17,000. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I just knew I wanted it.

Whee!!!!

Reply to
Carbon

LOL

Welcome aboard!

Reply to
Remove This

Thanks! My wife and I just got back from putting another hundred miles on it. The car is huge fun to drive, peppy but not overwhelmingly powerful, and it wants to corner a lot faster than I'm used to going. I still feel a bit awkward with it due to the close ratios on the 6-speed--what used to be a second gear corner is now a third, at least.

I nearly bought a Miata the year they came out. I would have if it wasn't for the outrageous gouging going on at the time. I've been lurking here on and off for years and have spent many hours reading the miata.net website. Came in handy today. The sales guy I was talking to didn't know anything about the Mazdaspeed version. But I did :-).

Reply to
Carbon

I'd say you did great, I don't know if you got leather but that's a really good price if cloth and I'd be tempted to say a great price if leather. Either way, the smile will last well past any payments ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Cloth. Honestly I didn't even consider the seats. The thing was so much fun to drive I pretty much decided to buy the car if I could get it at a decent price. I didn't even run the VIN or anything. But I had a pretty good look underneath and if there was any body work it was awfully well done.

I sure feel that way now! To me this is what a sports car is all about. Light. Nimble. Simple. I guess you either get it or you don't.

I have a question about gas. The manual says 91 octane unleaded. So I dutifully filled it up tonight, at $3.16/gal. Is it safe to run regular in a Mazdaspeed Miata, or even mid-grade 91 octane?

Reply to
Carbon

Congrats! Nothing like the feeling of driving off in your first Miata. Whee! indeed.

Reply to
Carol

It's turbocharged, and the stock intercooler is small and prone to heatsoaking. I wouldn't take the chance.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yeah, I think you're right. Actually the differential between 87 octane and 91/92 has always been 20 cents, so percentagewise it's less of a hit now than when gas was $1/gal. At least that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

I've already been looking at the flyinmiata website. I'm pretty sure my wife will regret me ever finding it. Anyway, among tons of other goodies for the Mazdaspeed Miata there's a larger intercooler. I'm guessing that and the intake and exhaust bits are probably good for 20hp or so...

I finally ran the VIN on the car. No insurance claims, a one owner trade-in, no evidence of odometer tinkering.

Reply to
Carbon

According to their dyno runs, more like 50 hp.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

And the Miata disease claims another victim.

Congratulations on your new funster!

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Interesting. I still have two years left on the factory warranty. After that...

Reply to
Carbon