I screwed up my rear plastic window

I've owned my 97 Miata for less than a month now and I already messed up the rear plastic window. It now has a crease extending horizontally all the way across the window about two inches from the bottom. And along the crease there are minor scratches also. I have no idea what went wrong as I try to be really careful letting the top down. Any hints as to what I may have done wrong? When I let the roof down the window goes in one of those soft pouch-type things to protect it but somehow I screwed it up anyway. I'm just sick about it.

Reply to
jchristman

Did you unzip the window before you let the top down? It's the only way I have found to keep from messing up the back window..

Bill

Reply to
schism

Do a product search for "plastic". Buy those products. Use them with lots of elbow grease. You will be happy once again.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Yeah, I always unzip the window.

Reply to
jchristman

check out the inside of the window protector but keep in mind a bunch of sandy grit on the window might still get ground in up against fabric. I always lightly dust it off prior to folding the top.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Do you always remember to unzip it before dropping the top, or have you accidentally tried to drop the top - even once, especially when it's cold - without unzipping the window?

However, since you say you've owned your '97 for only a month, it's quite possible that the window was already partially creased by the previous owner.

As for the scratches, get a good convertible window scratch remover, work a small area at a time, and you can remove most of the fine scratches.

Christmas is right around the corner; how about asking Santa for a new top (preferably zipperless/glass)?

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

You'll learn to live with it. Or buy a top with a glass window.

I simply stopped considering a clear rearward view as important. Then again, I don't drive with the top up all that often.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers