Increasing Aspect Ratio?

I have no problems with my 04 MSM's handling in any way, and I would not like to screw it up in any way, but I do find the gearing to be awfully short. I would like to decrease the effective gearing on the car by changing the tires from 205/40/17 to 205/45/17. There's pretty decent midrange torque and I really don't think it would make a lot of difference to overall driveability.

The thing is, I'm going to have to buy new tires anyway and this simple swap would increase the gearing just under 4%, roughly. I don't believe the 3/4 inch difference in circumference would create any clearance problems.

But will this screw up the handling? That's really what I care about. Miata experts of the world, please advise.

Reply to
Carbon

I don't think you'll noticeably effect the handling. I did the same thing (from 40 to 45 series) on 16" tires and only got what I believe to be the car sitting a bit higher. I didn't think it would be noticeable but I believe it is. Not to everyone of course, as it is not that drastic but to you since you see your car all the time. As for the gearing change ............ I still run really high rpm's. I wish I would have checked it before so I could compare the after, to it. Will Mazda ever give us a tall / relaxed for cruising gear? I guess not!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Mazda generally does not "give" anything away of note! They sell it! If you wish to spend the money-- Different rear end ratio-(Ring & Pinion) 3.09, 3.06? Different 5th gear ratio for 5spd trannys (drops engine rpm by about 500 at

80mph.) 5th then produces an engine rpm with torque a bit lower than desired at less than 40-50 mph.

"Will Mazda ever give us a tall / relaxed for cruising gear? I guess not!"

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck, I don't know what you are trying to say there. They are selling the CAR! It includes those gears, having different ratios doesn't entail noticeably higher cost so what are you implying?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Not many folks would enjoy downshifting for hills on the highway. Wear earplugs, and relax--the engine doesn't mind running at 4k all day long.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It's strange. My car has a turbocharger, so the mid-range torque isn't bad, and also a 6 speed transmission. You'd think they'd space things out a little bit, at least for the top gear.

The ratios are perfect when you're really hitting it. You shift at redline and the revs only drop to 4500 or so, right where the engine is starting to make decent power. However, I don't always drive it like that, and I think on balance I would prefer to not be reaching for the shifter quite so often. (I can't believe I just said that.)

I'm not too worried about the difference in ride height. The car is already lower than a standard Miata and this would be less than 1/2". Mostly I don't want to screw up the fantastic handling.

Btw, I'm thinking of getting Kumho ECSTA SPT's. Has anyone used these? Any better suggestions? Mostly I'm interested in the most bang/buck. I don't mind spending more, but there has to be some reason other than brand name.

Reply to
Carbon

Well that's good, because that's where mine spends most of its time!

Reply to
Carbon

Yes it does. Selling something with two possible configurations instead of just one causes increased costs -- sometimes rather significant increased costs.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I didn't say anything about two different configurations Grant. I'm simply stating my opinion (as I have before on this topic) that I feel strongly that Mazda has chosen badly in their gear ratios. My thinking is based on the speed I can obtain while still accelerating in 4th gear (sorry, I don't know exactly, just off the top of my head) which is pretty close to as fast as I normally go on public roads (some exceptions). Point being that top gear (5th or 6th) isn't needed for acceleration normally, it's used for cruising. When I'm cruising, I like minimal noise and maximum fuel mileage. "Downshifting to pass is some horrific sin" you say. I say bullsh_t, most people who drive Miatas LOVE to shift and I personally find downshifting to pass, one of the most enjoyable gear changes. I believe most would agree. "Hills" you say, I say that would be little to no annoyance compared to having to listen to 4000 rpm cruising for hours on end. I also think there is room for considerable real world fuel mileage on the highway. It's embarrassing to me that my dads supercharged 3.8l V6 in a 4000lb car gets probably 4 to 5 mpg better than the lil Miata does on the road. PLEASE do not resort to that old "well if you just bought a miata for gas mileage, you don't get it" I GET IT.

Chris

99BBB

"Grant Edwards" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I've never found a pair of earplugs that I felt were any less annoying than the surrounding noise at cruising speeds. I'm definitely open to suggestions / recommendations if someone has them.

Thanks, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo