Installing a power antenna

I'm installing a power antenna in my '97 to replace the old non-power one. I got the stock Mazda power unit from the dealer and everything went into place very easily. That should have been my first inkling of trouble. It just doesn't go up. So, here's the set-up. Other than the wire for the radio signal, there are two plugs, one with four wires and one with two wires, available to hook up to the socket on the antenna. Both will fit the same socket and both only fit one way. I've tried both and neither works to make the antenna go up. I checked the connectors in the plugs with a multitester and don't get any current from any of them, but I thought it's possible that there is current only when the antenna is going up or down so that might not mean anything. Still, it seems to me that the simplest explanation is that the shop that installed the new Alpine head simply didn't hook up the power wires since at the time, I had a standard antenna. Am I missing something? When I turn on the radio, I get a signal when I touch the top of the antenna, so at least that part works.

Also, there is a small plastic hose with a fitting on the end coming out of the antenna unit. I can't find anything to hook it to. Does it do anything or is it just decorative?

The shop is closed for Thanksgiving or I'd just take it to them.

Thanks very much for any help.

Reply to
Dave Smith

according to the 95 manual, the plug has red/black, black/yellow, blue/black, and light gray/yellow wires. The red/black wire should get power directly from the battery through the power antenna fuse block right next to it.

see above.

Maybe.

It should attach to a water drain tube, draining through the floor next to the battery.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks Leon but my set-up is different. I have red/black, red, and two thick grey wires that might have a second layer of insulation. If they do, I can't tell what color the wires inside are. They all go up the bundle from the positive terminal toward the front of the car.

Thanks for that. That's where it is now.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Maybe they did not like the idea of taking power directly from the battery and changed it. Or maybe they were trying to cut the cost of the fuse block. Looks like you will need to ask the dealer or find someone with a 96.5-97.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well, I took it to my car audio shop and they say that the plug with only two wires is the one to use as it's the one that goes to the stereo head location. They say it should work, but doesn't, so the antenna unit might be bad. Somehow I doubt it, but ya never know. I'll go to the dealer on Monday and see what I can learn.

Reply to
Dave Smith

I doubt it too. Unless they also changed the antenna motor or relay, it needs 4 wires.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Problem solved. I went back to the shop and asked them to check it again because I had information that it should use the four wire plug. Lo and behold, it was the four wire plug. One of the wires was broken. Geez.

Thanks for your input Leon. Without it I would have jumped through many more hoops.

Reply to
Dave Smith