Is car wax necessary?

Is car wax still necessary? I found out San Diego isn't too big on the whole car bonding thing - washing and waxing your own car. The preferred method is the deluxe gas station wash. There they add interior, rims, and towel drying. The "detail" version includes wax but costs $50. And unfortunately I've already learned the ******* slop wax all over the place, from the wipers to every panel opening.

With garage parking, apartment/condo living, and water restrictions, it's quite a pain in the ass to wash my car here. So waxing isn't even a possibility unless I rush home from the car wash and apply it myself.

So, um, how long before the paint looks like rubber?

As it turns out, most of the cars look pretty good. Yet no one seems to put any time into the cars. I'm hopeful car wax is hype or paint has really improved.

Reply to
Brian

Considering what I saw when I was shopping for a used Miata here in SoCal, in 5 years the paint already shows major signs of deterioration.

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

It depends on how you expect your car to look, and what kind of paint you have. Our 20-year-old Accord (clearcoated metallic dark gray) hasn't been waxed in at least 10 years, and it looks respectble when it's clean, if you ignore the rust. Close inspection reveals layer upon layer of swirl marks from careless washing. But nobody cares, it's just a winter beater.

The red Miata (no clearcoat) gets the full Meguiar's treatment twice a year, with supplemental wax coats as needed. Its depth of shine is amazing, without swirls or scratches. I wash and dry it carefully (and only when necessary), to minimize scratching. I do it because I get a kick out of the way it looks, and there's no substitute for the cleaner-polish-wax ritual. However, if never waxed, this car would be dull chalky-pink, like all the other neglected red Miatas.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Can't have a "loose" surface... or you wil LOSE the shine :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

The paint has not improved. In fact, it is less durable since the lead was removed from the formulation.

Reply to
Randy Maheux

Absofrigginlootly

I just traded in my 1994 Red 'ZoomZoom' for a 2004 Titanium Grey MazdaSpeed Miata 'Wisp', and the first thing people asked was where's the red one? When I told them I traded in the 10 year old one no one believed it was that old. My beauty secret Caranuba based Wax usually one complete (yes engine bay too) coat at it's spring debut and then one section once a week. With it's size the weekly wash/wax takes what 15/20 minutes? True with age the plastic rear bumper required a little more than it's fair share. But the day after I traded it in the dealer had it out on the lot with an 'Immaculate' sticker in the window and sold within 3 days.

A friend had waxed his classic car so well that a neighbor's cat walked through paint and then over his hood one night and it came off easily the next day.

Reply to
srides