Jackson Racing Supercharger ?

Please post any experiences - the good as well as the bad.

Especially concerned about realiabily and posibility of damaging the engine!

If any readers from Denmark og Germany - what about "syn" and tüv approval ?

And merry Chistmas to all of you

/Christian

10th AE Denmark
Reply to
Christian

Many experiences; all GOOD. Engine runs a little rough (instead of turbo-lag, you get an occasional kick-in-the-ass), but I like that. Also installed a Brainstorm 4-into-1 header (my '00, like the '99, had a restrictive cast iron manifold) which, for me, really completes the overall engine breathing. Sounds good, too. Have had 30K trouble-free miles. Oh, change the belt about every 10K miles, the pulleys every 30K.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

I have had a Sebring, now marketed as Moss/Jackson Racing, for over

100 kmi. The supercharger failed after exactly 100kmi and was unrepairable due to the sandblasting by dust getting through the JR air filter. I replaced it. The engine is using oil, but still seems fine.

The installation is fairly easy (I did not do it myself, though.) I used to have the belts breaking fairly quickly (15 kmi or so) but the car remained always drivable. They seem to last much longer after R-Speed fixed some installation problems.

One time the pulleys melted down: cutting the belt prevents you from being stranded (but you will not have PS or A/C). More recent kits come with better (but I hear not indestructible) pulleys.

The bypass actuator also failed after pretty much exactly 100 kmi.

Recently, the nut holding the gas cable came off, don't really know why. (See other recent post by me in this group.) Maybe I did not tighten it enough?

There is a very noticeable increase in power. The engine runs somewhat rougher during normal operation but nothing major.

Of course, any car warranty is voided. Though what that really means for nonaffected systems is unclear. But make sure you listen for knock and act if you hear it, or you will definitely be out of luck for a new engine. Especially if you do the installation yourself.

The supercharger can be bypassed in regions where no high grade octane gas is available.

In short, it will certainly cut down on the great reliability and long life of a stock Miata, but the car remains very reliable and long-lived. Even when something happens, you are quite unlikely to be stranded. You can drive it even if there is no good gas by fixing it up with just a piece of wire. I have driven it on a 15 kmi trip to Tallahassee (over Alaska.)

Gas mileage remains good (though I do not actually keep count myself) since the SC is bypassed during cruise.

Bottom line, I do not regret getting mine for a second. The car is much more fun with it in my opinion. And the problems have been minor.

If I had to do it all over again, the only reason I might get a turbo instead is that Moss, (a big aftermarket vendor), rather than Downing Atlanta is now the distributor and service contact. Downing Atlanta were always very knowledgeable and concerned about customer satisfaction.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

P.S.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I've only got 3k or so on my JRSC + '02 SE. It's a superb addition to the car. Since I live in the land of 91 octane pump fuel, I added the JR/ERL/Aquamist water injection kit to reduce pinging.

If you experience repeated pinging, wire the bypass-actuator closed until you can improve your fuel or install a timing controller.

Go easy on the hard launches to preserve the transmission, rear-end and tires.

Likewise!

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers