Just wondering after the fact...

The MSM has 17" wheels and very low profile tires. I don't know what's on the door sticker, but it wouldn't surprise me if higher pressure were specified to protect the rims. An uncommon number of MSM owners have reported bent wheels.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lots of people run at 28-30, despite the officially recommended 26, but I haven't heard about anybody runnning,deliberately, above that. Every time I have purchased tires and not specified the pressure ahead of time, they were overinflated. Even at a couple of tire specialty places. Once they had 38 lbs. in them.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Oh, there's always an "if some is good, more must be better" school. But they're wrong-- I haven't found any performance benefit to using more than 29 psi cold on the street. I usually go with 28 as the best compromise of ride and handling. I would go with ~35 psi hot on the track, to reduce heat buildup.

I'm pretty sure that Mazda determined 26 was the minimum pressure for safe, predictable response, and the ride is slightly better at 26 than at 28.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Agree 100%.

Reply to
Frank Berger

When I bought my '90, it had about 5-10psi in each 185/60-14 tire. Oh, great... First stop was the corner gas station to air up the tires. In my non-Miata head, I figured 35 would be a good general ballpark, as

30-37 always seemed to be the pressures called for on my other cars. Great, let's motor!

Five minutes later: 'Holy crap, do I need wheel bearings? Alignment? I thought these things handled ?!?' 65mph was terrifying, as the car was all over the place.

RTFM, Dummy: I managed to get home & consulted the manual in the glovebox (nothing printed on the doorjamb.) Lo and behold, 26 psi. Let

9 lbs out of each tire, and it is now, as they say, All Good.

The End.

-Chris

Reply to
bd_juju

I just got around to looking at the door jam and there is a plaque where where the tire size and recommended pressure could be listed, but it's all blank. So I dug out the manual and it says 26 psi all the way around for Miatas with 15" and 16" wheels, but the 205/40/17's in the MSM should be

29 front, 32 rear. Is this because the shorter sidewalls on these tires makes the wheels more prone to damage?
Reply to
Carbon