Keep or sell cheap?

I have a '97 Miata, with 93K miles on it.

About 2 months ago, I started getting "random misfire" codes on the check engine light. Been there before, so I replaced the plugs and wires.

2 days later, the code came back. I took it to the local mechanic, who chewed me out for not using NGK wires, then replaced the wires and plugs again (with NGKs).

2 days later, the light was back on, same code. I took it back, and he replaced the ignition coil.

3 days later, the light was back on, same code. I took it back again, and he threw up his arms and said, "I dunno. It runs good, so drive it for a while, and we'll see.".

Fast-forward a month. The check engine light flashes all the time now, although it's still running good. I suspect at this point I've blown up the cat, although I haven't taken it back to see. On top of that, the clutch has started squeaking (yes, I checked the fluid and it's full).

I suspect a trip to the dealer is going to have to happen. Reading miata.net leads me to believe that the only things left to replace are the crankshaft position sensor and the computer. On top of the clutch and the cat.

I suspect that's going to be a $3K bill. I have a motorcycle now, so I've only put less then 3K miles on it in the last 6 months. It doesn't seem to be burning oil, although there was some on the plugs when I first replaced them.

Anyone ever had problems with random misfires that couldn't be tracked down? Did you ever fix it? The odd thing is that it doesn't sound like it's misfiring, but I don't think it has the power it used to. Before the check engine light started flashing continuously, I could make it flash, but only at about 4K RPMs. Lower then that, and it seemed to stay off (or steady).

I'm trying to decide: Do I fix it or do I sell it cheap and buy something else? I don't want to put $3K into it only to find out that the check engine light comes back on (leading to another blown cat in a month). But I hate to sell it, too, especially with how little I drive it these days.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Tina Marie

Reply to
Tina Marie

We could be a lot more helpful if you posted the CEL code.

Reply to
Natman

PO300. Sometimes PO30X, where X is the cylinder. But it's not always the same one, and usually by the time I get it read, it's just a 300.

Tina Marie

Reply to
Tina Marie