lack of power at low rpm

Have a 1990 Miata and have just started getting hardly no power, no acceleration, at low rpm. Have changed the fuel filter and plugs and the wires are OK. Could it be the injectors, and if so, what is a good cleaner for them. Thanks.

Reply to
mac

No, they're not. Change the wires.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yep , althought the wires lookes oke, be wise and changed them. First thing to do in your case. You'll be surprised

"mac" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
C.Herber

mac wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You could check the wires, just start the engine and raise the hood at night. See all the pretty blue halos around the wires? If so, they're not OK.

Lots of folks say Chevron gas with Techron is a good cleaner for your injectors.

Here in the winter time we have to have oxygenated fuel and any fuel containing MTBE will do a good job of cleaning injectors. You can look in your auto parts store for a cleaner, it will probably contain MTBE.

Reply to
XS11E

Thanks for all the help. Have ordered a set of wires.

Reply to
mac

Reply to
Mo Freedom

Reply to
mac

Thanks. Can't find the reference to the dip stick trick?? More help here please.

Reply to
mac

Look at the crank pulley when the engine is idling. Does it wobble? If so, the crank nose is probably failing. The loss of power is due to cam timing drift.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

So if it is the crank key problem and it is damaged, where is a good place to get a new or rebuilt engine??

Reply to
mac

A junkyard. An average used 1992 or 1993 engine with less than 100k miles on it should extend your '90's life for years. The crank was redesigned partway through the 1991 model year.

However, many owners have had good results repairing a damaged keyway with Loctite. If it works, you will have saved a bundle; if not, you've only lost a few bucks and a couple of hours. See miata.net for all the gory details.

Don't get overwrought about crankshafts until you've diagnosed your problem, though. It might be something less dire.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have a 90 with similar symptoms. Couldn't see the wobble of the crank pulley so took it to a dealer who said it's going (checked the timing I guess). You mention the Loctite fix...has it been successful?

Jeff '90 Red

Reply to
Jeff & Missy

Going to try it this weekend if the weather permits. Will post here one way or the other.

Reply to
mac

Got it installed today. No major problems, do need the holder to keep the shaft from moving. Will be putting it all back together next weekend and will post more on if it works.

Need help on how to align all the shafts. Was some moving with all this and the timing is way off now. Where are the points to line up for the belt??

Reply to
mac

well got it back together today. So far so good. Runs fine, but only time will tell. Not that difficult of a task to do, but was not fun by any means.

Reply to
mac

Was wondering if I might "pick your brain" as to how difficult the Loctite fix was. I'm just a weekend garage mechanic and I'd appreciate your thoughts on any potential problems you encountered.

Jeff '90 Red

Reply to
Jeff & Missy