leaking over the driver's side window

My car has been leaking, with the top up, right over the driver's window, right where the two pieces of weather stripping come together at the fold in the top. The rubber itself seems to be in good shape, and I can't figure out why it leaks only on the driver's side and not the passenger side. I saw a post a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it said there was a drain in the front somewhere? I found the drain in the 'A' pillar, but it empties out outside the door where the hinges are, true? It was hard to tell, but it seemed like that's where it was going. I'm still a little unsure how a drain clog there would create a leak over the window. Is there another drain that would cause this? Has anyone ever seen this before?

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

My '90 did this, in fact the forward rubber strip above the window (in the chrome track) would fill up with water and pour out when I accelerated. I removed two screws that you'll see looking rearward at the outside edge of the windshield frame and pulled the top of the a-pillar seal away from the windscreen frame seal. It looked like it had been adhered somehow at one time. I shot some black silicone sealant from a squeeze tube in there, and also used some at the front end of the "over-window" rubber that sits in the chrome track--that fixed the problem.

-cliff-

Reply to
Cliff Knight

driver's window,

at the fold in

can't figure

passenger side. I saw

drain in the

empties out

tell, but it

unsure how a drain

another drain that

Yup, mine did it for years. When I had the top replaced, it pretty much stopped. The rubber gasket at the top of the window is not meeting the drain properly at the top of the "vent window" area. Either that or there's a crack in the gasket. Mine had both.

The gasket at the top of the window drains into a little cup-like area at the top of the windshield. This leads into the drain down the A pillar. If the gasket doesn't meet the entrance to the drain, it drips right onto your left leg. Move the gasket back and forth in its track until the leak stops.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva