Longer lasting timing belts?

Looks like it's getting close to another timing belt change. Came across this add a while ago. Anyone think these could be left for longer? It's a standard '94, looking at extending time belt change interval rather than increasing performance. Maybe twice the life of a standard belt? Cost is well worth it for the hassle.

Mal Osborne

Over the years we found Gates and Goodyear belts to be substantially longer lasting than generic ones, but I don't know how much longer.

Previous discussions seemed to agree that maybe a 100,000 mile interval for the timing belt, water pump, crank seal, cam shaft seals and idler pulleys is about right. Several people, including me, think the factory suggestion is too soon but extending the interval would require quality parts be used.

Reply to
XS11E

Mal, That's a good question. My thinking is (having 90k now) that if I want to have this car 'forever' the extra money (basically double) might well be worth it. I basically would never have to be concerned with it again but, anything short of keeping the car to 200k, it doesn't seem to make sense. Now, it's not huge money difference so, if money wasn't tight, I wouldn't hesitate but, by the time that you do all the 'smart' things that go along with the timing belt change when it's been put off to this late stage, the dollars add up a good bit.

The other thing to think about is, won't my new waterpump be marginal at

180k or so? Won't I want to be doing this again about then, if I still have this vehicle? I don't think I want to go thru this major of an ordeal with the same car twice. I'm thinking I'd rather be on to another Miata or .........? by that point.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It's only "smart" because each one of those other things will disable the car if it fails, and the labor to fix it is the same as a timing belt job. By replacing all the wear items while it's apart, you will spend more on parts, but will likely save a huge amount of labor (whether you do it yourself or pay a shop). You'll also have the convenience of choosing when and where the work is done, rather than be broken down on the side of some forsaken road in the middle of a rainy night.

What if you did only the belt and then two months later the water pump failed? And two months after that, the tensioner pulley, which will take your new belt with it? I've read too many tales of woe from folks who cheaped out on a timing belt job and had exactly that happen. Unless you enjoy working on cars and your DIY time is worth nothing, you will almost certainly save significant money replacing everything at once.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny, relax, I used the 'smart' term, you sound like you're trying to convince me it's smart, I know it's smart!

Later, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo