Low Fuel Light?

I recently bought a 98 model Series II and the fuel light does not light up when the tank is low on fuel. I thought it the globe must have gone, but after reading a few threads, and i mentioned there was no Low Fuel warning light in this car but they didnt state it directly.

Can someone confirm if this car has a Low Fuel warning light?

Reply to
jimbo

I can confirm if there is a low fuel warning light. But since there is none, confirmation remains pending.

However, fortunately there is a low fuel warning *sound*. :) Listen for a loud silence: this will indicate low or missing fuel.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I was stunned at how badly calibrated the fuel gauges on Miata are. On my 96 when the needle was dead on 'E' you had about

1/4 tank left. About 3 needle-widths below 'E', the gauge hit the peg. At that point you still had over 2 gallons (1/6 tank) left. Under normal conditions, I rarely filled up until the needle was buried below the 'E'. The tricky bit was remembering how long the needle had been against the 'empty' peg. Unfortunately I got used to driving around with the needle well below 'E', and I did run out of gas once.
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well, the "Very Low Fuel" LIGHTS will come on shortly after the engine stops. Many of the instrument lights will come on. It's a good idea to start looking for a place to get gas when the needle on the gage is just above "E". It saves a lot of time walking to where you were going.

Bruce RED '91 (with new clear taillights)

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

So...... there is no light indicating low fuel level? Why did they leave it out?

Reply to
jimbo

Why would they put it in?

Reply to
Sock Puppet

Because - silly them, they thought that most people properly interpret a fuel guage.

Paco

97 Montego Blue Miata 91 Toyota Previa 77 Suzuki RE5
Reply to
Pacocase

As in "The needle's on 'E', so I've got a quarter of a tank of gas"?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Stop bragging, Grant. The rest of us have to content ourselves with gauges that work as the owner's manual describes: on "E," two gallons remain.

I like the fact that Mazda didn't use a return spring to send the needle back to "E" when the ignition is off. I can check the tank as part of my instrument scan at start up, while I'm fastening my seatbelt. A low-fuel light is unnecessary on long trips, because my bladder is full long before the tank is empty. And because the fuel gauge is still part of my regular instrument scan.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hah... Well I just got to know mine over time. I let it get a little below the line and it holds somewhere around 11 gallons. It's supposed to be bad to suck up that last half gallon of fuel anyway because of all the crud in the bottom of the tank.

I second that. On a long trip I've found that gas stops are usually pretty close to necessary bathroom and stretching out stops. My only complaint about my car (which is my fault) is that since I set it up for autocrossing with the FM springs, the ride on a long trip on the interstate is a little punishing.

Paco

97 Montego Blue Miata 91 Toyota Previa 77 Suzuki RE5
Reply to
Pacocase

From whgat I could find out, the Low fuel light is market dependent. Obviously the USA version does not have it.

Reply to