Lubricant questions... especially for the T-LSD

Before someone says RTFM, let me just say..

I DID!

Okay, Just so I know the status of everything, I want to go ahead and change the oil in the trans, and the rear end on my recently purchased 97 M model.

From what I have read, I assume, being an M it has the Torsen LSD rear end, although I can't find any concrete verification of that fact.

The manual simply says GL5 gear lube for the diff, and the trans. In every other car I've had with any type of LSD, I had to add a friction modifier. Is this necessary for the Miata ?

I'm also planning on running synthetic gear lube in both. Is there any reason I shouldn't do so ?

The car has had Mobil1 in the engine as far back as the records go, so I'm going to continue that as well. Although I'm not typically a synthetic proponent, it seems to make sense for a small, hi-revving engine. Also, since that's what it has been fed, I'll continue.

What brand of oil filter is good to use though ? (I know enough to stay away from Fram), but I always used a Motorcraft filter in my other vehicles. Is an OEM filter the way to go ?

Oh, BTW I did also scan the garage section of Miata.net for these questions, and wasn't able to find answers.

Thanks, all!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

No. The Torsen is not a clutch-type LSD like a Positraction.

Nope. I put in fresh Redline every 60,000 miles.

Mazda filters are reportedly as good as filters get. Ordered from Trussville or Finish Line Performance, the price is right, too.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have been using Proline oil filters in our cars for some time. They are available at Pep Boys; perhaps other places as well.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

"Chief_Wiggum" wrote

What the hell, I'll just jump in and add confusion. I've used the OEM Mazda oil filter exclusively until I recently switched to Purolator PureONE filters ( PL14612). They appear to be as good as, if not better than the OEM filters, and have the advantage of being available locally at a reasonable price. The only way I can buy OEM filters without paying an arm and a leg is to get them through Trussville.

How many more recommended filters can this newsgroup come up with?

Reply to
Ken Lyons