Mazda 3 - OT

Hi All

Can't find a general Mazda newsgroup with anything happening so thought I would post here because I have used this ng because we already have an MX5. Yes I know it is OT but I won't do it again so please don't take up space flaming me.

I am contemplating buying a Mazda 3 1.6 TS2 in the UK.

Anyone got any experiences good or bad? We already own a MX5 which has proved excellent.

Thanks in anticipation Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

I'm in the US but finding it absolutely impossible to find one with the navigation system that Mazda pictures in nearly every ad for the car. The last salesman I spoke with sheepishly told me that I'd probably have to order one to the the nav, even though there was a 3-foot sign bragging about its availability on the floor model.

Only a couple of the 20 or so 3s they had on the lot were sticks, either.

Reply to
tooloud

I've heard / read lots of good things about the '3' and I've been very impressed with the general look / design / fit / finish. To me it has sort of a 'classy suit' look not unlike an Audi A4, a bit more youthfull though.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Hi Hugh; I tried replying directly to save space on the ng but your address didn't work. We've owned an MX5 for almost six years here in France and have been impressed with the quality and reliability of the car. When our seven year old Renault 19 died last October (automatic transmission failed at 75,000km), we looked at the Mazda3, which had just appeared on the market here, the Mazda6 and the newish Renault Megane. We had driven a friend's rented Megane last summer and found it a not unpleasant experience except that the hatchback did not open high enough and my wife hit her head on it. We found the suspension of the Mazda6 too soft and bouncy for our small country roads. We bought the Mazda3, 1.6 litre, 5 door in late October and have been very pleased with it. We've put over 7,000 km on it and have had no problems at all. Things we like about the car include; large, solid door handles, a clean, clutter-free dash, comfortable, supportive seats,an automatic heating/aircon system with large controls that are easy to use even with gloves, the high-opening hachback, and lots of storage spaces. A French car magazine did a head-to-head comparison with the Megane and decided the Mazda was the better car. Unfortuneatly I can't find the mag at the moment but a Google search will give you lots of other reviews. Mazda has sensibly stayed away from the electronic card/key system that Renault use, which is reported to give lots of problems. I don't know whether it's the FWD or the electro-hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering, or the combination, but I find the 3 almost as much fun to drive in the twisty bits as the MX5. Even though it's only the 1.6L, it has plenty of pickup and on the autoroute I find myself exceeding the speed limit with no difficulty. !! At 160 kph the car feels solid and quiet enough we can carry on a normal conversation. I quite like the front and rear views of the 3 but wish the profile was more like an Alfa. I highly recommend the Mazda3 and hope this helps. Cheers! Harry

Reply to
Harry et MaXin5

Howdy, Hugh:

If you own an MX-5 you have a home in this newsgroup and can pretty much talk about whatever--check out the rest of the posts! :) I bought my tires after finding a reference to them in a message thread that had nothing to do with tires. Personally, I like most of the Mazda line and am confident you'll have little or no trouble and loads of fun with your new 3. Congrats!

D>Hi All

Reply to
DonB

Reply to
glenf

Reply to
glenf

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post. Probably will settle for the

3 but not until the autumn (fall) when in the UK the registration plate 1/2 year changes. No point in replacing our hatchback until after the summer anyway. We will be enjoying our MX5 when it stops raining. At least if you don't use the boot you only need to be stationary for about 3 seconds to raise the top when the next British shower starts.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh