Mazda Heating & Air Conditioning

My 2001 mazda 626 started having heating and air conditioning problems several months ago. I noticed the heat would only work when the car was moving. The blower is functioning so this is not a blower issue. As summer arrived I noticed the air is not working as well. Any ideas on where I should look for this problem?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks Jim

Reply to
?

I take "heat would only work when the car was moving" to mean that warm air came from the vents if the vehicle was running at speed. This could be a matter of a stuck-open thermostat or an air bubble in the coolant-heater loop or even insufficient coolant level overall.

But "I noticed the air is not working as well" is more difficult to figure out. Does this mean that "it is working, but not as well as it once did" or does it mean "it isn't working at all and this is in addition to the heater problem"? If it is putting out cool air but not enough of it then it could be anything from low charge in the AC loop, stuck air door(s), gunk plugging the evaporator fins, bugs clogging the condenser, etc. etc. If it is not working at all it could be bad compressor, total loss of charge, or any other bad expensive thing you may care to speculate about.

Easiest thing to do is to take it to someone who has the experience and equipment. Even if you did know what was wrong with the AC it take special equipment to do any of the repairs.

Reply to
John McGaw