MazdaSpeed Turbo versions

Hello all, I am looking for a turbo, mazdaspeed edition miata, I was under the impression that 2005 was the only year model that this car was made but have seen some listed as 2004 models. Can anyone confirm that the turbo edition Miata was made in 2004 as well as

2004? Thanks, Squat
Reply to
Squat

Mazda definitely made 2004 Mazdaspeed Miatas. I have one.

Reply to
Carbon

Is it Turbo? I thought the 2005 was the only turbo Mazda speed version. Thanks,

Reply to
Squat

It has a turbo. The 2004 and 2005 models are nearly identical. The wheels on the 2004 and 2005 are slightly different, and I believe the 2005 was also available in orange.

Reply to
Carbon

-0400, Squat wrote:

"Even with the addition of a turbocharger and much more, MAZDASPEED vehicles carry the same factory-backed warranty as all Mazda vehicles. The 2004 MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata is covered by a comprehensive four-year/

50,000-mile warranty that covers every part on the vehicle except those subject to normal wear. In addition, the 2004 MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata is covered by a five-year/unlimited-mileage corrosion warranty."
Reply to
Beemer

That's interesting--I didn't know about the SE. Have you ever driven one?

Reply to
Carbon

Australia was 'blessed with a (different) turbo Miata before the US was, for some reason. Maybe a test bed sort of thing. The messages above appear to be in reference to the US model. To me the biggest difference is the 2004 wheels are much better looking but of course, this is simply personal opinion.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It might be said that I have a one off of one of the early "test bed" versions. Mazda had a 99 show car with what looked like an FM turbo kit. The pictures of the show car are virtually identical to the 99 in my garage. ~220HP at rear wheels.

Reply to
Chuck

Was your car a factory original or did you add the turbo later? I have seen ads for Jackson Turbos (I think that is the name) that make a big boost in performance in the Miatas.

I saw a nice Mazadaspeed one on the web and it wasin New Jersey so it was close. However, I wanted to lease it for tax reasons but no one writes leases on used cars anymore. (Or so I'm told)

I may have to wait until the mazadspeed edition of the 3rd gen car comes along. (My favorite is still the 2nd gen though...) Squat

Reply to
Squat

Jackson Racing makes a supercharger kit. At only 5 psi, the performance boost from the standard kit is modest (about as fast as the Mazdaspeed or a stock NC), but it's easy to install and won't destroy the stock clutch if you're reasonably careful.

For a big power increase, the 12-psi FM II turbo is the ticket. But it's a more complex installation, with an intercooler and a replacement ECU. And the clutch must be upgraded.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It was added by the same method as the 99 show car-- (Aftermarket) Leasing is always a little wierd. If your bank writes leases, and you have investments with them, they will usually write one, as long as they think that they can make money from your assets. Things get complicated when the lease is not in your personal name.

Reply to
Chuck