miata 1993 not starting :(

hi folks, my 1993 miata suddenly stopped starting ... the engine is cranking but not starting . The mechanic says there is not enough current coming to the coil pack. He says he need to change the cam sensor. Any one has idea what could be the reason in a similar situation as I never had any starting problem in all sorts of weather for the past two and a half years with this car. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Reply to
herc

Could be many things but sounds like it could even be a broken timing belt. Do you know the cars timing belt history? They recommend 60k per belt but most people believe they will go between 80 and 100k if you wait for them to fail. Of course a car that age it could be many things but a good mechanic should be able (I would think) to pretty accurately diagnose this. A bad mechanic will just start replacing parts till you run out of money or he gets lucky.

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Open the hood (over the engine) , remove the oil filler cap, have someone try to start the engine and look to see if the camshaft is going around. If the cam is moving, the belt is ok. Now you can start to look other places. Yes, the crankangle sensor can cause this. First of all, does your mechanic know how to work on your Miata ? If he does and you trust him, let him check for spark, check for fuel before you spend good money on parts. For the most part, the two coils will not fail at the same time, so I would look at them last. That is just for starts. The engine needs fuel and spark at the spark plugs. It now needs spark at the proper time and at the proper power (crank angle sensor). That is the cheap stuff. It could be in the computer. (you hope not :-) ) Just remember, this is free information! :-) so take it for what is worth. It's what I would try.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Good idea Bruce, that's a simple belt check!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks Fellows!!

It is fixed it was crangleangle sensor... I had to listen to your advise and go to another mechanic! Mechanic makes a difference!

Reply to
herc