Miata- A girl's car?

Girls like the looks of Miatas.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

of the

that?

I beg to differ. Our local club's membership is just about 50/50 male to female ratio. (I'm female, by the way)

Plus one of our female members is doing more mods *by herself* than most of the guys in the group. She just replaced all her shocks last Friday - by herself.

Most of our female members do their own work too. I'll draw the line at tranny/clutch work 'cause I don't have a lift in my garage. Matter of fact, I just replaced the passenger-side power window regulator two weeks ago.

Maybe in *your* area, women don't join car clubs, but I don't have that experience personally.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Our local club is about 50/50 male/female in membership, with our youngest member at 17 and our oldest at 71.

Miata - the car for all ages! ;-D

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Lot's of this is pretty stupid. What can you expect from someone who thinks *colored* light lenses on cars are "normal"? I am surprised he/she draws the line at neon. ;) Or at least, I *hope* he/she draws the line at neon; not quite clear.

And horsepower *is* much more important than torque, if the statement is posed correctly. I do not think he/she has a clue about simple physics as well as esthetics.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Leon van Dommelen wrote on 6/14/2004 16:43:

Don't blame me, I just did a Google search on "ricer" ;-)

-Joe

Reply to
Joachim Feise

That old, huh? Strange. Are you still in good health?

Well, since the Miata is a tremendously great looking, tremendously reliable car which is tremendous fun to drive fast, and which handles tremendously well, and which wrote the book on Autocross when it came out, I would think the demographics are people with great intelligence, and knowledge of and enthusiasm for cars.

Of course, those would obviously be mostly male, though Iva and Nora and others in this group are OK too. As far as that is concerned, you are not helping our male superiority claims by lying awake at night about the presumed teasing of a woman, (assuming she was not a complete idiot and actually meant it.)

Not here. But if you go to the muscle car groups, I am sure you can find something to feed your insecurities.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I am a 50 year old male Miata owner. Last night, while at a social gathering, the topic of cars came up. I mentioned that I was an owner of a new Miata. This women who I had just met, burst out with "that's a girls car"! I was a bit taken aback by that comment having never thought about it one way or the other. The best comeback I could muster was "Well maybe with the automatic transmission". Her comment ate at me all night, hence this post. What are the demographics of Miata ownership? Does anyone have anything to share on this topic?

Reply to
Dave Danielson

For a minute there, I thought you said Leon.

;-D ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

Just OK?? ;-) ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

Oh come-on Jim, A "geezer" ? You have some years to go yet ! I'm 70 and I'm just starting to be a "geezer", but have some years to go before I hit "Full Geezership" ! :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

the topic of cars came up. I mentioned that I was an owner of a new Miata. This women who I had just met, burst out with "that's a girls car"! I was a bit taken aback by that comment having never thought about it one way or the other. The best comeback I could muster was "Well maybe with the automatic transmission". Her comment ate at me all night, hence this post.

share on this topic?

Well, if you're that insecure, it probably *is* a girl's car. 8;)

OTOH, not many girls are willing to drive my '95R, all manual with short shifter, as it can be work.

-- Larry

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

pltrgyst

What are you saying? You've installed neon to go with the tail lights?

;)

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

Lanny, you are right on about that. I get multiple comments every week from pretty young girls who "love my car". It in indeed a 'girls car'. It is somewhat of a shame that I am no longer single. :-P

Of course, I get comments from guys, too. Especially since the video game 'Need For Speed: Underground' came out. A very popular street racing game, in which the programmers of the game saw fit to make the Miata the best performing car. Many a young rice-burner has pulled up to me at a light and gave me the thumbs-up.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

just got back from auto store for some window tint. I pulled up to a light and next to me was what used to be a light blue NA. Faded paint, primer, rust. Exhaust sounded like crap and the brakes squeled like a pig. Had to be the saddest example of a miata I've ever seen.

The 18 or 19 year old kid driving it had the biggest shit-eatin grin you ever saw.

His friend in the passenger seat was jus chillin to. The fun is in the drive. drwho

Reply to
news

Um no. What I am saying is that if a person likes colored glass lenses in gaudy colors like red and orange that do not even match their car colors, and then even uses lights below these gaudy pieces to really let them stand out, then this person is quite capable of putting neon on his/her car.

Of course we do not have those neon lovers on this news group, not? But it is strange that you would think there are...

What color are your tail light lenses again? And your side markers? And parking lights? Please list details. Especially in case you have a dark car, devoid of colors, for which any vigorous colors would be incredibly gaudy.

You do not happen to have gold door handles and wheels on a black car, by any chance? I have a memory of someone like that, and it seems it may have been you.

Do not try to deny anything, it will come out anyway.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Good ol' USA Today has left this page up and doesn't charge archive access fees like the Washington Post:

Note the percentage of females buying Mustangs compared to that buying Miatas.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

transmission".

I'm going to stop reading comments about cars on the Internet. I've had my Miata for more than six years, and NOW I find out it may be a girl's car.

And a year or so back, when my other (sensible) car was a Saab 900, there was a discussion in the Saab news group about why Saabs were popular among gays. (One suggestion was that it was because Saab ignition keys go into the wrong place.)

My sensible car now is a Toyota Avalon. I don't want to hear anything about who tends to own THEM. Anyone who has friends with theories on the subject had better just keep the theories to themselves.

Reply to
Kenneth S.

the topic of cars came up. I mentioned that I was an owner of a new Miata. This women who I had just met, burst out with "that's a girls car"! I was a bit taken aback by that comment having never thought about it one way or the other. The best comeback I could muster was "Well maybe with the automatic transmission". Her comment ate at me all night, hence this post.

share on this topic?

I'm a 42 year old male and I bought my bone stock red '90 a couple of months ago after I got to drive a buddy's '90. When my brother tried out my car, it only took him only a few weeks before he went out and bought a black '99. (BTW, none of us are gay)

When I first took the car to the office, a co-worker said, "Hmmm...maybe you can put on some bigger wheels or lower it to make it less of a chick's car."

After the first ride I took him in it, he said, "I can see it's not a chick's car if you drive it right." :)

Reply to
Crumm

Miata demographics:

Lanny Chambers

Good thing they found out when they were young, instead of waiting for middle age like I did! :-)

If you think about it, the Miata is a good car for a young man/woman. They are cheap and plentiful, amazingly easy to work on, and tough as nails. An excellent first car if you ask me.

Reply to
HardwareLust