Miata Batteries

Well I finally did it. Just ordered myself a charger/maintainer for my

2000 Miata. Gets pretty cold here, especially in our garage, 94533 area. Not a snowy area, but never the less cold enough for us beach bums>>LOL. And my Miata is lucky if it gets turned over once per week, as it should. Now teammiata.com has a charger that I almost got, but I found and ordered the following one at J.C. Whitney, that has three different connection configurations, PLUS this handy cigarette lighter one. I have dealt with Whitney before and was quite satisfied. Anyway here is the info for anyone interested:

Jazz_Azz

FWIW I used a Schumacher "Mity Mite" SE-1-12 maintenance charger on my '91 for the whole time it lived in Alaska -- it went into hibernation around Halloween and stayed there until the Spring breakup with the charger connected the whole time. Never had a battery or Spring startup problem. In fact the original battery lasted for an unbelievable 9 years and wasn't replaced until after the car no longer had the need to hide out over the Winter months.

Reply to
John McGaw

Chuck

Thanks for that heads up. I will check it out. Looks like I may have to use the connections direct to the battery after all :-).

Reply to
S K

I put a little socket under the rear bumper, makes it a breeze to connect and disconnect the charger.

Reply to
J Brockley

heads up. I will check it out. Looks like I may have to

I'm like Tim Allen in Home Improvement. Tools fall out of my hands>>LOL. Actually I am not that bad. But I'd probably screw something up, ruining the looks of my beautiful Miata. No, I'll leave well enough alone, and just leave the trunk up a tad. Good thing there's mo light in there. My Wife's 97 Chevy Monte Carlo, with only

40K plus miles HAD a trunk light. But finding that one of us would accidentally push the trunk button on the remote thingie, finding the trunk open in the garage, with the light on, Gods knows how many hours, I finally pulled that bulb out :-).
Reply to
Jazz_Azz

With alarm fitted I can't leave trunk open as its operates the interior light. Fortunately there are a few existing holes from trunk to outside and in the end the only tool needed was a spanner to attach wires (via fuse) to the battery.

Reply to
J Brockley

J Brockley>>??Interior light??. Is that a light associated with your alarm?? Because my 2000 Miata MX5 does not have a trunk interior light. So having my trunk open a tad should not be a problem. JC Whitney shipped my charger/maintainer on 1/2/08. So should be here any day now. Then I won't HAVE to make a point of trying to figure out where to take a weekly run, during this cold/rainy weather here in N. Calif.

I usually try to talk my Wife into a weekly lunch run. But she says that makes her feel like a old person, since that is what so many seniors like to do (we're 58, me/her 55 :-) )).

Reply to
S K