Miata clutch master cylinder

The clutch master cylinder on my 04 MSM looks...different, than the one for the 97 NA. It has an extra protrusion and uses a banjo bolt to transition to the flare fitting for the metal piping.

Having looked at the FSM, it appears that there is a restrictor in there that is designed to keep the clutch from releasing too quickly, i.e. you push the pedal to the floor, change gears, and no matter how quickly you take your foot off the clutch, the slave cylinder is only going to retract so fast.

Hyundai pulled this same stunt on the tiburon and elantra, contributing to early clutch failure on both models.

Has anyone removed the spring and restrictor from the clutch master cylinder on an MSM? I'm considering doing it only because the idea of having the car 'ride' the clutch for me every time I switch gears is kinda bothersome. So far, I've never gotten less than 100k out of a clutch, and I would prefer to keep it that way if possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I did not know anything about this, but I would appreciate an update on what you do. I am considering a 2004 MSM as my next Miata if my current job prospects work out and would like any information like this that is specific to the MSM.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I wonder if that's intended to protect the rest of the drivetrain from brutal shifting? Maybe they were thinking its better to fry the clutch than to grenade the transmission or differential. Not that a stock MSM makes all that much more power than a normal Miata--I hardly think there's significant risk of damage.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I suspect you are correct. But as you noted, 178 hp versus 120hp isn't that big of a jump, and the 6spd that ships with the MSM supposedly has shot-peened gears and a better Bosch torque sensing limited slip differential that even Honda sourced out for the S2000. So being able to chirp(or maybe a little more...) 2nd gear shouldn't result in a destroyed drivetrain.

Then again, I could be wrong. But what I don't like is the notion that on a hard launch the clutch is getting scrubbed a bit each time I shift. That can't be good for the longevity of the clutch disc.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Reply to
Chuck

Chris, don't make me feel any worse than I already do, the NB has ~142 hp compared to the ~178 hp of the turbo.

As for Chuck's post referencing clutch shudder, that might be related. I know that there were several years that the NB had some BAD clutch shudder problems. Never heard exactly what the fix was.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Well....it's still going to outrun an NA, right? :-) FWIW, the MSM engine is very 'peaky'....the turbo comes on rather late, and the ride is over before it starts in first and second. It sags badly....throttle response just plain sucks when you aren't in the turbo power band. But past that it is a fun ride. As far as overall comfortable driving goes, my 97 wins, hands-down. On the '97 the power delivery is much more linear without the turbo 'surge' that the MSM's have.

I heard about that, and read a few articles on the subject. I've not had the problem myself, but I doubt that the clutch master cylinder would have much to do with it. Usually issues with the drivetrain/ clutch shuddering are related to engine mounting problems or a contaminated clutch disc....at least in my experience. I went through that mess with a '67 beetle I owned a long time ago. In that case it boiled down to bad mounts on the transaxle and insufficient deflection in the bowden tube.

The workshop manual seems to show that at least in '04, the non-turbo miatas got the same master cylinder for the clutch as the 97 NA did, so the master cylinder is probably not the issue.

Best,

Chris

Reply to
Hal