Miata Poll - What would you do if your Miata were gone today?

If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen, whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what would you do:

buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference? get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference? get a different vehicle altogether? if older, would it be stock or modified? What year? do something not on my list?

I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's even on-topic! :-)

For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It is difficult to say for certain what I will do in the next minute but, hypothetically, under the circumstances stated I would probably buy a new PRHT MX-5 (red...always red!). Certainly not the most practical choice since I really could use some amount of money too but I've not been without a Miata since 1991 and I have a general distrust of used cars except in the most desperate circumstances.

In my situation the most realistic thing to do would be to forget the car, use the money to finish up the remodeling and landscaping, and drive the Subie but nobody every accused me of being a realist...

Reply to
John McGaw

Bummer. I just checked, and while that's enough to have FM convert an NB to LS3, it's not enough to buy the target NB as well, much less to paint it pink and cover it with Hello Kitty crap.

How much fun would that be? Trolling for mullets...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

In that situation, and in my current life situation, I would be tempted to just take my $30,000.00 and see how long I could live on a beach somewhere with no car and no need for one, spending as long as possible perfecting my beach-bumming skills and banishing that evil creature known as stress.

Then come back, get another job, and another Miata to drive to that job.............The NA's are so cheap anymore that I could spend $25,000.00 and still get a pretty nice one upon my return with the remaining $5,000.00.

OK, let's increase that $30,000.00 to more like $3,000,000.00. No coming back. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ouch! Well, I just increased that amount to $3,000,000.00 U.S. dollars, so you are safe now. ;-)

Take your pick!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Have you seen such a thing, or is this from your own horrid imagination? ;-)

Also, aren't the mullet guys buying Camaros now that they are available again?

Pat

Reply to
pws

and add a HUGE TAK?

Reply to
XS11E

Do something not on your list.

I'm probably going to be selling my Miata soon as I no longer drive it very much, the clutch is beginning to be too much for my increasingly arthritic left knee so I'd just pocket the money.

Reply to
XS11E

Well, you know my answer, since I just went through this exact scenario. My '96 died; I have the wherewithal to buy a new MX-5 if I wanted, but opted for a 2004 MSM. Not sure I did the right thing, but then I never am.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Knee replacement?

Reply to
Frank Berger

I guess you haven't been to

for a couple of years, eh? There are some interesting videos. I laugh at your cute little turbocharger... :-)

Yup, that would be my goal: terrorize Camaros with a pink 430 hp Miata.

And yes, of course it would have a HUGH TAK!!!!!!!!!!!! No steenking wing, though.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

here, a brand spanking new one (2.0, we got 1.8 too) goes for 30+ k euros. dunno whats the exchange ratio, but thats something like 40k us dollars

msm, and than tweek the taarboo...

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

Interesting experiment. I need to change one thing as the 30K you offer is less than my 1999 NB 1.8 with 60K miles on the clock cost me 3.5 years ago. You gotta love car taxes :-)

At first the loss of my current NB would likely make me weep for a while and then I'd hit the internet.

I would import a MSM only I'd like the body to look as a 1999-2000 car because I think the 2001 changes was a mistake. I would then change the rims for some ultra light ones by OZ.

Pretending there is still money left over after that would mean the starting sum was 50K+ and if so I'd take an extended holiday to drive on some of the great Europe roads:

Stelvio pass (Italy) Black Mountain Pass (England) Isle of Man (No speed limits outside towns) Nuremberg ring (It is actually a public road only no speed limit and of course one-way) Schwartzwald Hochstrasse (Germany)

A top speed stretch on a German autobahn would also be on the list but that could be on the way to the ring.

Reply to
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

Not on my to do list. The knee's fine, my back problems prevent me from walking or standing much so the knee's used only when I shift!

Reply to
XS11E

I have seen the crazy V8 systems that they offer, it was the pink color and the "Hello Kitty" stickers I was referring to. ;-)

I wonder what the highest dollar/money amount is that has been spent on a single Miata, adding purchase price and all modifications like the $25,000 engine.

I can't quite imagine more than doubling my current horsepower in my Miata. I wonder what kind of 0-60 and quarter mile times they are getting with that much horsepower and torque. Then the car still handles great! Talk about fast........

That should be the goal of Mazda for the next model, a HUGH TAK!!!!!! in every model, gigantic wing optional, but all of them being fast, fast and yup, ferious!!!!!

Pat

Reply to
pws

As much as I want to check out owning a PRHT, I think that you did the right thing.

If not, maybe I can buy the MSM from you sometime early next year. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Have you seen the website of the fellow who put a Jaguar V-12 into his Miata? (nope, I don't have a URL handy) By the time he's finished, he should be right up there.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Sorry. My wife is recovering from a hip replacement in June and previously had both knees replaced. When the pain from the hip surgery ebbs away, she will be free to concentrate on her arthritic back, for which I'm afraid will be no cure. She will have her mobility back, at least. That's something. A lot, actually.

Reply to
Frank Berger