Miata radiator

I don't think my earlier post went through, if so, please excuse the reduncancy. I have a 2000 Miata, not spent much time under the hood, and I just noticed that the radiator "floats" and has rubber bushings at the top. Mine seems loose to me, but maybe this is normal. How much should you be able to move the radiator?

Thanks for your help

Clark Smith

Reply to
Clark Smith

Actually, your post did go through,but I am going to answer on this one. My radiator did not move at all. I recently had to replace it due to leak. I replaced it with a metal one. To move doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else? ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

The radiator in my '90 (and, I assume, others) is mounted with rubber bushings. I really don't know the design rationale behind the bushings. It's probably to attenuate shock/vibration from the frame into the radiator. One thing I do know is that the "float" should not be so great as to constitute "looseness". If so, I would assume the bushings are shot and need replacement.

I also expect that a properly mounted radiator will leak for various reasons. Like Cissy, I also replaced my original radiator with a metal one. In mine, the interface between the plastic expansion tank at the top and the metal radiator decided to leak.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

The original radiator wasn't metal?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Maybe it is the newer Miatas. My 99's radiator 'floats' a lot, just like Clark's '00. I was worried at first, but I have never had a problem with it, so I stopped worrying.

Lathan

Reply to
Lathan

OEM radiators have aluminum cores glued to plastic top and bottom tanks. Sooner or later, the plastic and/or glue fails. When the top tank turns olive-green, it's time to start shopping for a replacement.

"All-metal" replacements are typically copper and brass, with soldered joints. There's a weight penalty of a few pounds, but they're cheap, and are invariably the automatic-transmission version, with a double core and more capacity. All-aluminum race radiators are available for about

3X the money.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I think mine did the same, Ken ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

Not mine. Plastic :-P ~Cissy My '90 Mazda Miata I love PC adventure games

Reply to
Expmiata

Mine developed a crack in the plastic top tank. After a year, the left side bracket on the replacement brass radiator separated from the radiator at the solder joint. It was replaced under warrantee, but I got to do the R & R!

Reply to
glenf