Miata Soft Top - Food for Thought

I was just wondering why it's considered such a burden to:

  1. Get out. 2. Raise the top. 3. Get in. 4. Latch the top. 5. Get out.

but nobody complains about:

  1. Get in. 2. Unlatch the top. 3. Get out. 4. Insert noodle (if required) and lower the top. 5. Get in.

Hmm... Anybody else agree step 5 is the major difference?

Ephar & Bambi '92 Classic Red 'A' The Original Winkin' Miata

197.5K miles
Reply to
Ephar

Because my arthritis makes getting in and out difficult, painful and very slow. Does that answer your question?

I'd be delighted if it were easier to raise the top from inside the car but I don't have a roll bar so the "tie a rope to it" doesn't work. I can open the door, move my legs outside the car, swivel to face the outside and then grab the left most end of the front rail and raise it that way, I can also use the end of my cane to put under the front rail and use the cane to lever the top up far enough to grab it but I'm always afraid of damaging the fabric if I do it that way.

I'd complain if I ever did that, I don't.

I get in, unlatch top, hold rear bow forward, lower top, drive away.

(1992 with Robbins zipperless glass window top)

Reply to
XS11E

Having a glass window makes the roof *much* heavier. I struggle to get the roof up from the driver's seat on my 1996 Eunos Roadster with a mohair roof and heated glass window. No roll-bar for me, but the brace bar behind the seats makes it a stretch to get to the 'handle' in the middle of the front fame, which is below the bar, and it has to be lifted vertically for the first couple of inches to clear the brace bar. Oooohmeshoulder! Much easier to get out of the car to lift it, or to half get out like XS11E does.

Reply to
Rob

I've never lifted the top from outside the car. I just reach around and grab it. The whole operation takes less than 10 seconds. It is easier to do if you undo the seatbelt first. I have a vinyl top with glass window if that makes a difference.

Reply to
Carbon

Now we know you're real name is Incredible Hulk? Or possibly Clark Kent?

You'd be more than welcome to try that on my top but you'd better bring two helpers to stand outside and lift!

It takes approximately 150 lbs of force to lift the first 3 inches, after that, it's easy.

Reply to
XS11E

Aw, c'mon. Couldn't be more than 120.

My right shoulder is fubared from too many dirt bike crashes in the '70s. No way can I raise the top from inside the car. Besides, the window zipper failure left me with a noodle habit.

My solution? I never put the top up.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Something's wrong with your top! My wife can reach around and pull ours up. She doesn't use the handle, though. She reaches a little beyond it and hooks her first 3 fingers under the header, then up it goes - no problem. With lining up the clamps and securing, the whole process takes about 15-20 seconds. Ours is a '99 with a canvas top & glass window.

--Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

seriously doubt that it takes 150 lbs (if that's something 70kg). I can rise it with my right arm. seatbelted and all...

did it yesterday on the highway @ 10mph (that anti-wind thing got cut up during the years, so gf complained about the "wind")

I'll get my bathroom scale (digital) and do a test :D

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

I don't think so, it's fairly new (see earlier posts regarding the several replacements as Robbins struggles to find a glue that'll keep the rear window from falling out in the Phoenix sunshine!) and that means all the pivots are probably as tight as possible???

Your top frame is somewhat different in that it doesn't require holding the rearmost bow forward when lowering. I don't know what other changes are made but that might explain the difference in force required to lift it?

Reply to
XS11E

Would you believe 149.5 lbs?

Reply to
XS11E

I'd settle for 149.3! not a penny more :)

seriously, I'm an IT guy, don't do bench presses or nothing (beer cans are my limit). so I reeeaaaly doubt that I can lift 70kg with my right arm stretched out and all :D

on second thought, if I can lift it, then I'm waaay to macho for this girlie car! screw you guys I'm buyin' s2k!

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

I did (do) operate the tops of my NA and my NC and have been doing it since '91. The only time I wasn't able to handle the NA was after I tore my right rotator cuff while avoiding an accident. It was probably six months after the surgery before I was able to handle it and then it wasn't too comfortable. I am certainly not above average strength for a 60+ male but I really think that the operation is more a matter of technique than brute force. I will add that cold weather makes either sort of top stiff and uncooperative but the NC, with the no-zip window and spring-counterbalanced frame, is easier than the NA ever was.

Reply to
John McGaw

:)

Having not ridden (or crashed) dirt bikes in the 70's, I can reach back with my right arm and lift the roof on my '03 -- but just barely (and if I've just finished working out, I just can't manage it). I suspect it's not something I'll be able to do for too many more years unless I start going to the gym a lot more regularly. :/

Reply to
Grant Edwards

If you need a comparison - just go to a Pontiac or Saturn dealer (hurry ...before they are extinct) and test the convertible top on a Solstice/Sky. You will lavish praise on the design of the MX5 convertible top.

Ephar wrote:

Reply to
CR

I have an NB, with Mohair and glass screen here and I can happily raise the roof from the drivers seat. I usually lean over towards the passenger side without my seatbelt on and use my right arm (right hand drive). It's harder to co-ordinate my left arm into the handle. I guess it would just take practice, but I'll happily accept that not everyone is physiologically capable. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yep, NC top is just rach back, filp it up and lock. You can do it stopped at a traffic light

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

On my NBs (an 03 and an 04) it was reach back, hook fingers under edge of header, flip up, pop pop - both latches closed.

On my NC (08) it's reach back, fit fingers into designed finger-thingee, grunt like a tennis player, grit teeth, pray for my right rotator cuff and heave. Clunk - latch is closed.

I actually had someone say they thought the NC top was lighter than the NB. I know I looked at them like they were insane.

-Carol

Reply to
Carol

I'm struggling with a torn tendon in my right shoulder now...trying to avoid surgery. I have no recollection of injuring it, but you may have identified the cause. That's how I routinely raise, er raised, my top. Not anymore.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I test drove an NC when they first came out and found I could raise and lower the top effortlessly from the driver's seat while my NA remains impossible from the driver's seat.

I have to believe there's a HUGE difference from car to car?

Maybe today I'll remove the tonneau cover on my NA, raise the top and see about slightly loosening something to make the initial effort less.... or maybe not.

Reply to
XS11E