MIATA, what is considered a salvaged title?

I have a miata that I am getting ready to sell the old MD title did not say salvaged and my current VA one does not say it. It just says vin number replaced by MD and lists the current vin number.

My old vin is still intact, and the new one is placed slightly higher. The car runs perfect and is my daily driver for 8 months. IT passed state inspection without any problems.

The car fax does show it had an accident, and the airbags were deployed. I replaced the drivers side airbag, but not the passenger.

What I want to know is, if it is considered salvaged or not?

What is a 94 miata with 130k miles with a new top, and is an "M" series, with the chrome spokes of average wear for the year, color dark blue green, and chrome look bar?

Please post responses here as my e-mail is not working.

Thanks I was thinking i would be asking arond $3,200

Reply to
SHOOTER

You don't have to worry about a salvage title, if the car is / was wrecked badly (where cost of repair exceedes value of the car) than the insurance company declares it totaled and the state issue's it a salvage / junk title. The cars are then sometimes repaired and sold but the title change is to protect the purchaser. The way you describe yours, it appears to have a clear title.

Hope that helps some, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I think Chris is right, but I would still want to know why the VIN number was changed. Seems to me they should have done a major replacement to affect the VIN.

But if I was a buyer, I would want to know why the VIN was changed.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I , the owner, would like to know as well, but I do not know so I can not tell you why as I bought it this way. I have been meaning to post it on ebay or at least take pictures and put them on a website, but I never seem to get around to doing it.

I think the car may have been stolen and the insurance paid it off. I was told that if that happens in MD then they change the vin so the insurance can reinsure it under the new vin, otherwise they won't allow it to be reinsured as it was already paid for. The new vin number is given by an inspection location after they have thoroughly checked it out. I hear that Maryland has a very tough inspection process.

I don't know however as I do not live there.

Reply to
SHOOTER

A "salvaged" car is one which an insurance company has declared a total loss, and then was brought back into operation. If that hasn't happened, you don't have a salvaged car.

Depending on local law, it might not be saleable with the passenger airbag nonfunctional.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Reply to
jchristman