missing

I bought my 97 M model at 36K miles, and have driven it for 4 years. Now has 88K. On a recent highway trip it started missing when ever I accelerated, but would smooth out when I let back off the gas. This has been a gradual onset, but seems to be getting worse. If I start off very easy with just a slight amount of throttle, it's okay, but any excess throttle and it drops down to three cylinders. Is this a spark plug thing? Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Baby Grand

Sort of. Start by replacing the plug wires. That may be all you need.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

How old are your plugs and plug wires? Almost always the cause of what you are descibing and it will throw a code because of the unburned hydrocarbons being sent down the exhaust from a misfire. The Miata needs new plugs and wires about every 36K miles, IMHO.

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin