Mufflers

1991 Muffler took a hit and sounding raspy.

I don't mind the stock Mazda muffler that came with my Miata. How are the Mazda replacement mufflers. Have they remained of good quality and are they recommended? Price?

Reply to
Pat

Call a few of the miata.net sponsoring vendors. Many of them sell and install aftermarket catbacks, and have piles of serviceable stock exhaust systems, taken off of customer cars, that they'll sell you cheaply.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have a 1991 Miata. Given that the first year was 1990, what is the range in years that the Miata Muffler has remained the same part number, including my year.

Reply to
Pat

Dunno about part numbers. 1990-1993 should be interchangeable.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny,

Many thanks for your help. If you are aware of any muffler (1990-1993) clone that fits like the OEM muffler from Mazda, and is of equal or better quality, please let me know. I seem to recall that all the alternatives try to one-upsmanship the original with a vroooom sound or enticement for greater performance, etc.

Reply to
Pat

Call RSpeed, Flyin' Miata, etc., about take-offs from customer cars that had aftermarket systems installed.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I can get a used part locally, but thanks for the suggestion. I just can't put anything but a new part in the Miata, regardless of how oldmy car is.

The new 1991 Mazda OEM mufflers are $206 plus tax locally from a local dealer. I can get a new one cheaper from from a dealer down south but the shipping would be so high that I might as well just go local.

Ok, I said stok but is there a third party muffler that I should consider. I did a search on the Internet and people have liked the BOSAL H5000-50500 which I located for under a hundred bucks new and that's free shipping.

I am loooking for good build, and as quiet as, or not very much louder than the stock. If it is a little louder, then I want it to be a mellow subtle sound.

Pat

Reply to
Pat