Multiple Random Misfires

I saw over on google that there was a discussion about this several years ago. I seem to be getting the same error, but with different symptoms. Mine is not at high rev but every once in a while it will do it when I first start the car. Often after only a short time since shutting it down. Anybody have any experience or ideas about what could be causing this? It usually clears up after a short time, but the last time it happened it actually caused (at least it is the prime suspect) damage to the another component. Being as I need to make a trip down the east coast and back next week I would really like to have an idea what this might be and maybe even fix it before then.

Mine is 2000, Special Edition. Although I don't think that makes a difference.

bill

Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

Unburned fuel is sitting in one or more cylinders as a result of how the car was shut off. If your foot is on the gas as you roll into the driveway, and you turn off the ignition, the raw gas may sit there until next time you start the car. Try letting the car idle for a second after you roll to a stop.

Reply to
lgadbois

Bill, you don't give much info here but my initial thought is spark plug wires. As you may or may not know, miatas eat them up in fairly short order compared to the average vehicle and this could very possibly be your problem. Allot of folks swear by the NGK 'Blues' but I'm a proponent of the lifetime wires from NAPA which I believe cost about the same amount but can be traded in occasionally as needed. Currently mine have been on for over two years and over 40k. I really ought to replace them just in case but never think of it when I have the time and never have the time when I think of it.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out! Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I had a similar-sounding problem a few years ago with my 1999. Sometimes after starting it would run very rough, with check engine light flashing. After a mile or two it would run normally. Replacing plug wires didn't solve the problem, and it finally turned out to be the coil pack. The bad coil did ruin the catalytic converter, which was replaced twice, thankfully under warranty.

Reply to
Barry

So the concensus seems to be coil pack and/or plug wires. The garage that is fixing the other problem seemed to think coil pack was the likely culprit as well. I think I will order a coil pack and a set of plugwires from Moss Motors (miatamania.com) and have them put in while the car is in the garage anyway. If I order them today I will probably have them by monday and I really need to get the Miata back on the road. Thanks for the help everybody. And if anyone knows of other possibilites please let me know.

bill

Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

Hey, another Pennsylvania Miata owner!

If you don't mind taking a drive, c'mon down and join LVMOC for some events.

We even have a member who lives up in Mountain Top.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Actually, there are enough Miatas within walking distance of my house to form our own club. And probably a couple dozen in the NEPA region. But I really have no time for things like clubs. I drive a Miata because it handles like my old British sports cars (I own an MG currently in storage awaiting restoration and I used to have a Triumph Spitfire which is now out in Michigan with a Ford V8 and 5 speed in it) and thats the kind of driving I like. Mine's a daily driver (except when there is snow on the ground) and has made a number of trips up and down the east coast.

I have said and will say again, the Miata is destined to become the next Classic Sports Car. It is everything people bought sports cars for in the past. And not only are people starting to restore and customize them but there are already parts palces who cater to them. I love it!!!

bill

Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

I am definitely not interested in joining a Miata club, or any car club.

When the typical job has a person sitting on their asses most of the day, then they go home and watch TV and sit on the computer and then finally have their weekend fun activities consist of sitting on their ass while driving a car around.....

Well, the results are easily predictable. The average American is incredibly out of shape and getting bigger all the time.

The members of the local hiking group appear to be in much better physical shape than the Miata club members on average. I am thinking that the different activities of the two groups may have some effect on that.....

The best time I have had in a Miata, BTW, was at Deals Gap, with a passenger but not another Miata in sight.

Handling is also the primary reason that I like Miatas, but the current one is not like the cars of old at all. Much, much more power and a considerably nicer delivery system through a torsen rear end, forged wheels and modern tires.

Starting to customize? I did my first Miata customization nearly 10 years ago, and I was late getting into the game by about 8 years.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I have to agree with you there Pat, this car has been all about customizing practically from the get-go! I kind of unofficially collect great miata pics, I know I have 10 or 12 thousand. Like a woman's body, there's hardly any two alike and I mean that in an artistic way not a sexist way. Besides my wife would kill me if I had 12k women's pictures ;-)

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Just to bring this thread to a close, I replaced the coil&ignitor, the plug wires and the plugs. (and the catalytic convertor that had been damaged by the original problem.) I just drove from PA to AL and then back via Eastern GA almost 3000 miles, total. Not a single problem and good performance all the way.

Thanks to everyone for their help and information.

bill

Reply to
Bill Gunshannon

My 99 showing the same symptoms.

Where and what coil&ignitor, the plug wires and the plugs did you purchase?

Thanks,

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

Moss Motors (aka miatamania.com)

I get a lot from them because I also have an MGB and I used to have Triumph Spitfire and they also do British cars. Been around a long time and I have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I live close enough to their East Coast branch that I usually get my stuff overnight with normal shipping. YMMV.

bill

Reply to
Bill Gunshannon