my Miata has NARCOLEPSY... please help!!!

All.

I have an "unsolvable" problem for the group to ponder. My Miata has Narcolepsy... and the dealers, and various other mechanics, can't identify the problem, after 1yr trying.

Here are the symptoms: The car periodically stalls for no apparent reason. The stall is quick, and its just like you turned off the key... no sputtering beforehand... it just dies. After stalling, the car will not start for a period of sometimes 5 min, during which you can crank the starter motor, and the car will crank just fine, but will not turn over. It will eventually restart after a variable length of time, sometimes 30sec, and sometimes it takes almost 5 min. When it does finally restart, it turns over as if nothing has happened, and it drives completely normally...no residual symptoms. During the time that it is stalled, all the electrical works just fine. The stalling can occur 5 times during one 2 mile trip, and then not happen again for days.

Here are the details on my car:

96 Miata, 35,000 miles, well cared for aftermarket wheels and foglights everything else is stock.

PLEASE HELP. THE DEALERS WANT TO JUST START RANDOMLY REPLACING PARTS... THEY ARE COMPLETELY STUMPED! They really don't have any idea how to proceed.

Thanks!

Emile

Reply to
E. Nuwaysir

I had symptoms similar to that when a ignition system wire was bad. (I had an aftermarket ignition retard system spliced into it.)

Since it is free, it cannot hurt to look. On top of the rear (closest to the windshield) driver side of the engine block, (at the cam angle sensor,) there is a connector. Very thoroughly inspect the connector and wires going to it for signs of damage.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Do you have a heavy keyring? Too much weight can eventually damage the ignition switch internally, resulting in precisely your symptoms. Try using just one key, no ring, and see if wiggling it brings the engine back to life.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks for the tip Leon. I will check. The car had previously had an aftermarket alarm installed, which I had removed because it was malfunctioning, an because I thought that it might be related to the stalling problem (i.e the stalling problem predates the removal of the alarm). At the time I had it removed, I asked the shop to check the wiring to see if the stalling and the alarm were related. They told me there was no apparent connection, but I will look at the connector you suggested.

Thanks!

Emile

Reply to
E. Nuwaysir

My keyring is really small...only two other keys on a simple ring. But I will check to see if wiggling will reanimate the beast.

Thanks.

Reply to
E. Nuwaysir

I once had a VW that did the exact same thing... suddenly stalling, shutting off and refusing to restart for varying periods of time. Sometimes 5 mins, sometimes a few hours and then it would run fine. After about a year I finally took the gas tank off and there was a bunch of gunk floating around in the bottom which I presume the fuel pump was getting ahold of. During the waiting, the gunk would have a chance to settle out from where it didn't belong, only to be sucked up again completely at random. Might take a week, might be the next day, hence the symptomless car. Anyway, new gas tank and the car didn't do it again for as long as I kept it. But with a Miata with mileage that low, I dunno how you could have gotten any rust or gunk in your gas tank, but it may be worth looking into. I've heard that water in the fuel does the same thing.

Paco

97 Montego Blue (for fun only) 94 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (work van) The La-z-boy with wheels 87 Toyota Vanwagon (backup work van) Yes, it has an engine... somewhere.
Reply to
Pacocase

A good place to start is a simple replacment / inspection of the engine ground strap. Its most often overlooked as a major source of intermittant 'electrical problems'. If the wires in the ground strap have beome embrittled they can fail and make 'momentary' breaks and 'momentary connections' .... giving the symptoms you describe. One must remember that the ground system is just as important as the voltage supply system.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Leon,

This is a great suggestion. I would add that Emile should not only locate and inspect that connector now but be willing to disconnect and reconnect the connector when the symptom returns. If it clears up the problem right away take the car to the garage for a complete repair to that connector.

message from: Fred Vibert

Reply to
SC.RR