Nardi shift knob 2003 LS

I want to remove the Nardi leather shift knob so I can remove the center section and repair a spring on the cup holder. It will rotate, but does not go any place. Is it a screw on, or a set screw ?

Thanks,

Bruce Bing '03 LE

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

AFAIK, all miatas, at least through 2005, use a screw on shift knob rather than using a set screw, though some people have replaced their shift knob with one that use one or more set screws.

Is your's original? Also, is it possible that the knob has come loose and is rotating around the housing that is still attached to the shift lever? I'm not sure what a 2003 Nardi knob looks like, but the one that came on my '96M could have done this.

Finally, is there a threaded collar on the bottom of the knob? Every shift knob that I have ever seen that uses set screws has a threaded collar that covers the screws from sight.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yes Pat, it is orig. on the 2003 LE. I can't see any place for a setscrew, or a pin. It does feel like it is turning on sonething, maybe an insert of some kind. The shift knob looks like the wooden Nardi, but it is black leather (and a 6 speed). No collar under it. I sure hate to start doing something that will damage it. I guess I will just need to look into it more. Thanks anyhow.

Bruce Bing '03 LE

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Bruce, Maybe it's just slightly stripped threads, have you tried a bit of upward force while unscrewing to attempt to 'help' it get started? Seems to me my OEM (urethane, not leather) had a plasticy / rubbery threaded portion.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo