nasty sound in upper part of engine

hopefully I haven't done something real stupid. Friday I drove the miata to work, took it into town in the heat of the day, ran great. Parked it and left it an hour or two, started it and it had a real nasty sound that seemed to be coming from the cam area. Like things were running dry or something was loose. I shut it off and checked the oil level (about 3200 miles since changed last) and it was about half a quart low. Not a problem but on the other hand, I usually start getting some of the typ valvetrain clatter around 3k. Anyway, this was worse but not terrible, I decided to limp the car home (20 miles or so). I took side streets and kept the revs to 2000,

2500 at tops (I felt like Lanny when he tried to see what the max mpg might be on his miata). It was nerve racking but I kept putting the window down at stop lights, and I wasn't hearing it. Got it home and I'm not hearing it. Started it today let it warm up just a bit and reved it to 5k, 6k and seems fine.

My question; could something have been blocking an oil passageway and have since freed itself? Anyway I can check this out better or should I just do the oil change and take my chances?

Chris

92BB&T w/ 125k
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

That's typical HLA clatter, and though it's annoying, it doesn't hurt anything. Change the oil at 3000 and don't let it get a quart low.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I hope you're right but I've heard / had what I think is the typ HLA clatter around 3k and this was considerably worse. I guess I'll change the oil and see what happens.

Chris

92BB&T (with fingers crossed)
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

As soon as I get that clatter two days in a row from a cold start when the engine is warm I burst it up to 6500 rpm in second gear and never hear the clatter for another month or so. Recommended by our local Miata guru in Ch-Ch , New Zealand .

Reply to
Col:

OK, I give up, what does that do that makes the clatter go away? Not saying it doesn't work, but why does it work and what is it doing? You're not saying the repairs take a month or so are you? ;-) Hank J

Reply to
hjarrett