[NB 6 sp] - there is a reverse gear lockout

A few weeks ago I was convinced by posts here suggesting that there's no mechanism for reverse gear lock-out (when moving forwards) in the Aisin

6sp gearbox. IIRC there was a link to miata.net posts implying the same

- that reverse gear lockout is a myth. I also checked the 6 speed box FSM, and can't see anything obviously there to show that a lock-out exists. So about 10 minutes ago, I tried it out - very carefully at first. There is in fact a lock-out. I can get the shifter across to the right into the horizontal part of the gate, but it won't budge down towards reverse at all when you're moving forwards. There's no way to accidentally engage reverse say if changing from 3rd directly to 6th. My NB is '98 production JDM VS 1.8 RHD. Perhaps this is not in all NB 6 sp models. Cheers.

Reply to
Me

I have a 2003 UK 1.8 with a 6 speeder.

There is no mechanism for preventing the engagement of reverse whilst moving forwards.

I think it's pretty difficult as I don't think reverse has a synchro and if the car is travelling at any speed, the output part of the gearbox will be spinning too fast in the wrong direction to engage easily.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

So you're saying that when moving forwards, if you push the shift lever right - into the reverse gate - you can budge it downwards? On mine, it's completely locked out. So this may not be in all the nb 6 speed boxes, but seems strange that it would be in early ones rather than later. The Altezza / Lexus is200 and S2000 use the same AZ6 box. I wonder if they have reverse lockout. I'll check on an S2000.

Reply to
Me

The S2k box feels the same as the Mazda 6sp, and also /seems/ to have a lockout. There's apparently a single cone synchro on reverse. Rather than it being a mechanical lockout, if the synchro is working, then if I've got this right, it should prevent the selector from shifting to the point where the gears can mesh. I can't shift mine out of the horizontal gate toward reverse when moving forwards. Is there synchro on reverse on the MSM? Worn perhaps? I guess you can tell if there's a slight graunch/clunk engaging reverse from standstill, or it doesn't always slot in first time without effort. Reverse on mine seems to select (from standstill) without ever needing effort - contrast my old nissan with no reverse synchro, where sometimes you need to try a couple of times.

Reply to
Me

Not sure I understood all of that, but I often have to try 2-3 times to get into reverse from a standstill in my recently acquired MSM. Seems like I have to put in 1st, then it will go into reverse. Still learning not to miss 4th and hitting 2nd when downshifting from 5th or 6th.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Have you tried double-clutching? Without shifting into 1st, shift into neutral, let out clutch, push in clutch, shift into reverse.

Reply to
T.J. Higgins

I'll try it. Thanks.

Reply to