Need a reservoir cap...desperate!

So I hop in the car one painfully frigid night to drive a friend to his car. "Boy," I say, "what a good friend I am. Not only does my friend not have to walk all the way to that remote parking lot, but he gets to ride there in style and warmth."

You can imagine the pain I felt deep inside when I shot my left foot to the floor of the foot well and met little to no resistance! I cried out in anguish and pain, knowing immediately not only what had happened, but that I would not be charitably driving my friend home, and that my dear friend Euni (the car) would be off of the road for a long time, until parts, tools, and warm weather intersected.

So, my friends, help me in my quest. I need a part.

I lost the clutch reservoir cap some time ago (while rebuilding the cylinders) and though I had temporarily stretched saran-wrap and a rubber band over the reservoir, that strategy can only last so long. With the cap off (I theorize here), the system was not closed off completely, so leaked and evaporated out (and filled with air) over the past couple of months. I've done quite a lot of driving since I lost that cap (e.g. back and forth from school 100 times, to VA from CT and back). It looks like it finally got to me.

I popped the hood and the reservoir was BONE DRY. I'd checked it about two weeks prior and it appeared fine.

I know I might end up rebuilding the cylinders again, but I don't want to do that until I can rule out the cap and bleed out the air.

What I'm asking for is that cap, or one like it (that would fit). I'm willing to pay, and/or to pay for shipping. Just having one makes you a saint.

Email is probably best - snipped-for-privacy@r0lliSl1fe.endjunk.com

Gotta love it.

-r0ll

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

Far, far from a saint, but I am looking at what you need right now, I just dug it out of the misc. miata parts box.

I can send it out Monday, I would guess about a dollar for first class mail or $4.05 for priority if you want it there by Wednesday or Thursday. Price: $0.00.

Should I send it to the same address that I shipped the airbag control module to?

E-mail may be best, but this gives me another chance to shamelessly hawk my miata wares. ;-) Seriously, I will be getting rid of a lot of M1 miata parts and will probably post a list when I have at least 15 or so miata items listed. Lots of OEM and aftermarket parts coming.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat, that DOES qualify you for 'saint' status, don't deny it ;-)

Chris

I don't think there's necessarily damage. Air in the system is the obvious main problem but I suppose, if dirt and such have been allowed in to the system, bigger problems could have occured, eh? Plus (to OP) the cap is critical to keep moisture out of that fluid so don't try the sarran wrap / rubber-band trick again for any length of time, eh?

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Chris,

Yeah, I think I'll be OK. I just worry a bit about it getting bone dry...ah well, I'll have to bleed it and see. I promise no more saran!

And yes, Pat is a *saint*. His price for shipping is lower than the price of the part from anywhere else, let alone their shipping charges (9.58).

I really, really love the Miata community. Anyone selling a Miata should include that in the description as a "feature" of the car.

-r0ll

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

Going bone dry is not uncommon. That is often the first sign that someone receives that their clutch slave cylinder is leaking. I would go ahead and run a decent amount of fluid through and make sure that no particles or gunk are coming out, but like Chris said, you are probably ok.

You guys are killing me, now I am going to go do something evil...

I am very glad to see a company not get to make that kind of shipping profit on you. I am not about to make any profit on something like this for both a fellow miata owner and Ebay customer. :-)

This thing weighs almost nothing, and it is going to take me about 5 minutes to box it up and put a label on it. In fact, it is now done.

No question. The people on here are great. I have received a lot of helpful information over the years, quite often from the people that I argue with the most.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ok, oh god. Pat is a saint, as is evidenced by his generosity. The slave cylinder I'd rebuilt recently, however, is the spawn of Satan. I got the gift cap on the other night (yeah, it was cold) and realized, as I was bleeding the clutch, that the slave cylinder was leaking. How could I tell? I could see a wet piston underneath the torn rubber boot!

I have some spare slave cylinder pars lying around I'm going to try...I'm just pissed I have to wrench it off again. Anyone got any slave cylinders lying around? I suppose I've got a merch. credit to AutoZone burning a hole in my pocket...again, a time issue. *Sigh*. I miss driving Euni.

-r0ll

bone dry is not uncommon. That is often the first sign that

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe

That sucks eh? sorry to hear that.

Chris