Need new top install - $$?

Hi, I'm currently mourning the demise of my ragtop which was slashed yesterday by some ******* imbicile. With both doors left unlocked for easier radio-thieving access, this moron decided to skip the doorhandle check and go straight to knifing my top. And of course, he didn't go by the door where he'd be in arms reach of the locks so he could verify by hand that it was unlocked.. no, he instead cut all the way accross above my rear window (and down the sides). The only thing of value IN the car is my stereo which is gone, the $5 under the tray under the center-console cup holder was not found ( you can imagine my excitement.. ) and fortuntely the jacka** didn't share my taste in sunglasses as they were left as well.

Anyway, on to the point of my post. The current top is a Robbins w/ glass window that I put in w/ the help of a friend. It was a PITA that I'd rather not have to go thru again. And given the circumstances, it only makes sense to let the INS company pay for the installation along w/ the rest. So, my question is this: how much does it cost to have a top professionally installed? And if Lanny or anyone else from the St Louis, MO area know of a good place to have it done, that info would be appreciated too.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Scott Hughes wrote in news:d1s278$9od$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.wustl.edu:

What a miserable coincidence, when I took my Miata down to have the oil leak fixed, a man arrived about the same time to have his top replaced. The same thing happened to him but his car was locked and they took over a thousand dollars in recording equipment and tapes. He's a radio guy and works the Cactus League games of the San Diego Padres, the tapes they took were the previous day's game. The left his radio alone, I guess they figured they'd got enough stuff?

This won't help you any, but you have my sympathy.

Reply to
XS11E

Scott Hughes wrote in news:d1s278$9od$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.wustl.edu:

One other thing, I like the zipperless design (altho the easy-break-in- ability of the zipper has saved me a couple times when I've locked myself out of the car). I know some have advocated the OEM NB tops as replacements for NAs, is there any significant difference between those and the Robbins (or other aftermarket) zipperless tops?

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Scott Hughes wrote in news:d1s3mq$a3u$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.wustl.edu:

OK, one last thing, if I go with an aftermarket top.. Robbins came out ahead last time I bought a top, is there any new info/experiences to say that Duetto should get more considderation this time around? (my current top is a Robbins zippered glass window and I'm looking at Zipperless/Glass now)

Also, I have what I believe to be a defroster dongle in place, but no related items on the dash for controlling it. How hard is it to retrofit defrost control?

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

I recently had a problem with my Robbins top, and Robbins was great about honoring their warranty coverage. They replaced the top for free, and it cost me $200 to have the replacement installed. You shouldn't have to pay much more.

Be sure you get a new rain rail with the new top -- and be sure it gets installed.

If you're ever in the South Florida area, I'll tell you the name of the little shop that did it.

Reply to
South Ocean Drive

I live in St.Peters, and had a top installed a couple of years ago by "Stitch-n-Fit"...they were in St.Peters at the time, but now they're in Troy, MO. IIRC, the cost is about $250 (or was then). He did a great job. My new top came from Duetto, and he said it was very good quality and it's held up quite well. "South Ocean Drive" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@gbronline.com...

Reply to
BK

: So, my question is this: how much : does it cost to have a top professionally installed? And if Lanny or : anyone else from the St Louis, MO area know of a good place to have : it done, that info would be appreciated too. : : -Scott

IIRC, the auto-boat upholstery shop that did mine charged about $300 for labor and shop materials to install my Robbins top w/zippered glass.

Reply to
Roald Oines

On my 1996, I remember it was easy, but expensive. Essentially, you just plugged in relays and the switch.

Note that the defroster plug is different on the M1 and M2.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Hi Scott,

Bad Luck on the top mate, i guess noe the only other thing to do is employ a doorman, he can then open the door and box to any lazy ass thieving scum. If your Miata has aircon, then there really is no need at all for a rear demister, in my experiance the aircon demists quicker than the demister.

Cheers Mark.

Reply to
gixer

Thanks, the comment about the AC solution makes me feel better about skipping the defroster, which, due to financial concerns, I went w/o anyway. Anyone know where I can get some window decals with, "My Doors Are Unlocked" printed on them? Maybe one for the rear window and a pair for the two side windows..

-Scott

"gixer" wrote in news:d33l8t$lmt$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.otenet.gr:

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Some kinkos locations can make glass doors signs (letters stick to the glas). Google quick signs and you will get a variety of choices.

Sadly, you assume tha the moron trying to rip you off can read.

Reply to
M. Cantera

You assume he's trying to rip you off. ;)

When my top got slashed, nothing was stolen. The doors were unlocked, but they hadn't even been opened. Somebody just felt like slashing the top.

Reply to
Grant Edwards