need to diagnose trouble with battery

after months of band-aiding my battery on a charger every few weeks, I need to figure out why it's not holding a charge.

(prior posts have stated that I wasn't driving the car long enough to keep a full charge, but that's changed as I now drive the car more than enough to charge the battery. Also previously mentioned was a LoJack putting a drain on the car 27/7 and that's been removed (one less annoying car alarm in the world, do I get an award?).

So the battery's still not reliable. I need to have the hardware tested. If I put the [Panasonic stock] battery on a charger, it will fully charge and last for 3-4 weeks until it slowly drains enough to be unreliable -- so I'm thinking it's the alternator or wiring or something, no?

(BAMA membership forthcoming.)

-fptm

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician

What is the voltage measured accross the battery when you rev up the car to al least 2500rpm? Should be over 13.8V If not you have a bad component in the altenator or regulator circuit. If it is over 13.8 then you may need to buy a westco or other AGM battery. Robert

Reply to
Robert

The very first thing I would do, is check t see if the Alt. belt tention is set properly. Even minor loseness will cause the battery to not get a full charge. This is a common thing and a "low cost item to fix".

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Well it turned out [after much procrastination] that my battery was at fault. (It's a 1997 Miata, so I guess it's time for it to die.)

Order " OCV: 12.30V Load V1: 4.89V Recovery V: 11.75 Load V2: 2.48V Test Number: 329 Rated CCA: 520 Recharge Battery and Repeat Testing "

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician