New owner today! 4quick questions

Bought a 2006 "Tourinng" with 10,000 miles, picked up today. Playing with it in the driveway, came across a couple of things I hope you might be able to answer.

  1. The second key remote works intermittenlty. Do the batteries go dead and can they be replaced easily?

  1. The two rear speakers do not work. When changing the radio fade to rear, there is no sound. On the touring model, I was told it was six speakers and I only get four up front. Is this normal? Is it just the four up front or is it six? It's the two that appear to be in the rear in the middle.

  2. The two truck lights do not come on. Would they put lights in for no reason?

  1. With the top down, when I was testing the car, when you pull the latch to put up the top, it would be a noticeable click and it would pop up a little. So much so, I could reach over my shoulder and lift it up. Now when I pull the level, no pop and I have to pull the level while also pulling up the top. What's normal?

I called the local Mazda service and gave them to vin for a search and he said there were no problems or repairs and that the warrantly expires March

2010 or 50,000 miles. Are these warrantly items? Thanks!!
Reply to
WendyC88

Should be, take it in and get it fixed.

Reply to
XS11E

The dreaded latch issue seems to be back.

Yes, they should be warranty items, with the possible excepti>

Reply to
Chuck

Does the 2006+ use two latches or only one? I have only operated the PRHT on the new model so far.

Just curious,

Pat

Reply to
pws

A single latch

Reply to
WendyC88

Leid about speakers or touring model? I did a VIN check with carfax, it is a touring model. It has the 17" wheels, run flat tires and other trim associated with the touring model as well. Madas own 06 brochures call for 6 speakers as standard, so I guess I am a little confused. Just making sure there were not six speakers hidden around up front and the rear is one big

7th like it talks about on the grand touring. Thanks agn!
Reply to
WendyC88

Yes, the battery can go bad. Replacing the battery is described in the user's manual and it is not difficult. It could also be a programming problem with the remote and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the dealer re-do the mating dance to ensure that the car and key(s) are well acquainted.

Don't know about that. I have the Sport which has no rear speakers.

I take it you mean the trunk light(s)? There is a switch inside the trunk which controls the operation -- off, switched, always on. I didn't know that there were two lights though -- my Sport only has the one.

AFAIK There is no spring or mechanism which pops up the top from the down and stowed position -- it is basically the tension in the fabric which will make it pop up. If the fabric is extremely hot and has been down for some time the top just lays there waiting. If it is cold or has not been down for a long time it will usually pop up a bit when you pull the latch.

It certainly can't hurt to ask for repairs on anything that is broken. But reading the manual would be a good idea just so you have an idea what you should be expecting. You might also want to look up all the service bulletins for your model and ensure that they have been taken care of. At the very least I know of two noise-related bulletins as well as a safety bulletin about a bad bolt for the driver's airbag. The latter was in the Spring of 2006 and delayed the delivery of my new MX-5 for several days until they sorted out what needed to be done.

Reply to
John McGaw
  • WendyC88 wrote in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:

Are those the ones INSIDE the trunk or the ones on the TRUNK Cover? The ones on the cover are the license plate lights, that one had me confused until recently also.

Reply to
SINNER

Hadn't thought of that possibility. That would explain why I only find one light _inside_ my trunk -- and that one with a very self-explanatory switch in plain sight (or feel, anyway). Good catch.

Reply to
John McGaw
  • John McGaw wrote in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:

I have had the car for just over a year and everytime I opened the trunk I wondered the same thing, just never asked (I felt I might feel silly at the answer). It just dawned on me a couple of days ago and then I saw this post :)

I still feel silly, but at least I am not alone ;)

Reply to
SINNER

I bought a 2006 touring model back in April. My two back speakers do not work either. I believe the two back speakers are for the Bose stereo, which I do not have. Supposedly, the wiring is there, but no speakers.

Reply to
Raover

Alrighty...

Found in the manual where to replace the battery. Great.

So I understand the touring is 6 speakers. We count them, counted 6 up front. DAMN. Hopefully the wiring is present, I'll see if my wonderful hunk of a husband can get the speaker cover off and add some decent rear speakers.

Idiot alert light on.... they are the license plate lights!! Thanks SINNER. Found the switched on in the trunk.

We are having them look at this. I popped up, we liked that. Now it doesn't, we don't like that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Reply to
WendyC88
  • WendyC88 wrote in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:
[...]

Really, dont feel bad, like I said, I have had the car for just over a year and just figured it out myself :)

Reply to
SINNER

INRE; item 3... Those arent trunk lights, those are license plate lights! Put your headlights on to prove it. The trunk light is inside on the wall, has a switch, may be off.

Reply to
Jack McGann