New Shocks- 1991 Miata

My 1991 Miata has 113K miles, the ride is not as smooth as use to be, little bumps sound like something big, I guess it's time for new Shocks, I read quite a few post about Shocks/Struts but still not sure which one to buy, do I need something else beside shocks, what is fair price to get it installed, etc, please advice, thanks.

Abid

Reply to
akhan

Your shocks have been gone for a while. The only reasonable solution that I see is to buy my used Konis on Ebay.... ;-)

Since you have been reading on it, you have probably seen that the general concensus is either the Konis or the KYB AGX shocks unless you want something more exotic. These two are not much more expensive than OEM, offer a better ride, and will last longer unless there is a defect, plus the adjustability is very nice even if you don't use it often.

The Konis do require modification of the shock tower mounts. The KYB's do not.

At this many miles, you will need a set of new boots/bump stops. I don't know what they are running now, it seems like they go up a dollar or two every time I check. Trussville Mazda is probably the best place to buy them.

Replacing shocks is not that hard, the rears are incredibly easy, but it does take some time. I would call around to a number of locations for quotes, you are probably going to get very different numbers.

We have a very fair mechanic who can probably do miata shocks in his sleep and I think that he charges 2.5 hours for shocks, but I would have to double-check that.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat,

Thanks, that sounds good, I am seriously thinking about replacing the shocks right away, not sure about the used though unless a mechanic approves it, what is the item number of your listing on eBay, I need to check it out, 2.5 hours for front and rear, right, where is your mechanic located, I am in Houston.

Thanks again,

Abid

Reply to
akhan

He is my mechanic that I never use because the car is so reliable and easy-to-fix, but this is John Long in Austin, actually Round Rock just north of Austin. He works with Corky Bell and there is no other person on the planet that I would trust more with my miata regarding both honesty and quality work. They are even friendly. Here is their website.

You might want to give them a call, I could be wrong on that time estimate and I am not sure what he is charging per hour. He will simply give you a total estimate for the job.

Regarding my Koni shocks, I have the minimum bid set at $199.95 because they are already mounted on a set of shock tower mounts with OEM springs and have about 45K miles on them. The shock tower mounts and springs only have 75,000 miles. This lets you drop them right in without modifying your original shock tower mounts and you can keep the ones on there now in case you ever want to go with a different shock. Since they have not been raced or abused, the shocks have a lot of life left in them. I have had a couple of people offer me $100.00 for them, even though the auction has not ended yet. I will give them to a friend before letting them go that low, plus I have had one person who says that they will bid, we will see, there are 3 days left and many people wait until the last day to place their bid. Here is a link if you want to check them out, if you look at my feedback you will see that I am pretty safe to buy from.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Errr.., make that Corky Matney, I see Corky and think "Bell", heh.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat,

Thanks for the detail info, I really appreciate it, I just called couple of local mechanics and you are right it is anywhere from 2.5

-3.0 hours, I really like your shocks and wondering what it will take to become your friend, just kidding, I am little tight with the money right now, just started a new job, anyway I will watch your item and see if I can get lucky.

Abid

Reply to
akhan

Wow, I was right on the time estimate! The gray matter has not completely gone to waste yet.

You don't want to join my crew of friends, believe me. Even if it was for a brand new MX-5 with folding hardtop, it just wouldn't be worth it... ;-)

If you don't win them and/or if they don't sell, send me an e-mail and we can probably work something out. I could even install them for the second time. Suspension work is one of my strong points, just keep me away from the electronics.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Great, I will be in touch.

Reply to
akhan

The auction went for a bit higher than I expected. I am glad that I turned down those $100.00 offers.

Abid, I would suggest getting the KYB adjustables since they require no modification to fit. Most mechanics will charge you at least some extra time for the extra work required to drill the shock tower mounts for the Konis to fit.

The Konis may be a better shock, they are certainly more proven, but I am happy with the KYB's performance. We will see how they hold up if I keep the car that long, mine only have about 25K miles on them and the MX-5 with folding hardtop in blue is like a siren call guiding me toward the rocky shoreline and I am quickly running out of wax.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat,

Yeah I saw that, I am happy for you, let me be honest I was dreaming that that you may not get any bid, boy I was dreaming big time, you are right I might go with the KYB. Anyway good luck to you and thanks for all the ideas and suggessions.

Hope to talk to you again.

Abid

Reply to
akhan

Thanks Abid! Ebay is very strange, as are the sellers. ;-) I was pretty sure that they would get a bid, but going up over 50% in the last 90 minutes was surprising and pleasant to see....

Pat

Reply to
pws

I agree, I bought some stuff from eBay as well and I witness strange things happens at the last minute. I am glad it worked out for you.

Abid

Reply to
akhan

I agree, I bought some stuff from eBay as well and I witness strange things happens at the last minute. I am glad it worked out for you.

Abid

Reply to
akhan

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Buyers may not bid until the very last minute so other bidders don't have anything go on. Also, the automatic bidding on Ebay and the bidding engines some folks use may not kick in until the last minutes of an auction.

Reply to
XS11E

Even the last second or two. I have seen many auctions more than double just before they ended. "Sniper" is a very good term to an Ebay seller.

Weird Al explains Ebay better here than anyone. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws