Newbie question

Hello Everyone,

I have always been a car nut, but circumstances have not always been favorable. I am now heading into what we might call an end of life crisis; getting ready to buy a nice car.

My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all places it is not difficult to find support for that.

However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would prefer that I go for the SLK.

I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for either of the other two I should pay attention.

Appreciate your thoughts...

Don

Reply to
Don Q

Just my opinion (I've been an MX-5 owner since 1991 so take it for what it might be worth):

If you are short, thin, flexible, don't carry luggage or groceries, and have money to spare then the Elise would be great fun. If you are not so short, not so thin, not so flexible, occasionally need to carry a bit of luggage, and have even more money to spare then the SLK should be a good if rather boring ride. Of course if you are spending that much then you had better consider the AMG instead to get the blood pumping a bit.

Consider that you could buy a top of the line MX-5 and have enough money left over to take a long luxury holiday for what the Elise costs. You could buy two MX-5s and still have money for the holiday for the price of the AMG. And so far I've been considering only purchase prices. Wait until you see what maintenance and insurance for the Lotus or Merc costs. If it doesn't make your eyes water, nothing ever will.

Reply to
John McGaw

I agree with what Don said. The Miata probably wins in terms of practicality, resale value, reliability, service, and its large, extremely helpful and enthusiastic community of owners that is unlike any other. The SLK is in a totally different class with luxury and comfort put ahead of everything else. And the funny thing about all that luxury is that once the top is down it pretty much all goes out the window to so speak. I would love an Elise and feel it is actually the one reasonably priced (albeit it greater) alternative to the Miata which offers a better driving experiencing. However it is even less luxurious than a Miata. It comes standard with rubber carpets. Early models did not even come fitted with a radio. The noise is also louder than a Miata and the top is not completely open like a Miata. On the used market a late model Elise can be had for a very reasonable price. One other car that you may want to consider is the new BMW Z4. It is quite a departure in looks than the older Z models, is luxurious and yet still very sporty. I like the handling of the older Z cars but their maintenance cost was very high and they just didn't last which is why you rarely see the older ones on the road. Whatever you choose, I think deciding between these models is a very nice problem to have.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

It will be your car, not theirs. Let them buy what they want, and claim the same privilege for yourself.

My opinions:

The Elise is a great track toy. It's too brutal and too Spartan to be an acceptable daily driver, worse than many motorcycles.

If you're even considering a Miata, then you're not in the SLK demographic. It's a wonderful convertible, but not really a sports car.

The Miata is universally acknowledged as a perfect balance of handling, comfort, reliability, and fun.

Anyway, for Lotus or Mercedes money you could have a Miata with a professional V-8 conversion and kick sand in the faces of Corvette drivers.

But pay no attention to us. Take test drives in all three and decide for yourself.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Heheh, try getting in and out of an Elise. Try doing it 2 or 3 times. Get your wife to do it too (if she is to share the sportscar experience) and see what you all think afterwards. The boot is pretty tiny.

My experience of cars like this is with a friend's Vauxhall VX220 which is related to the Elise. I absolutely love it, and so do they, but I also love my MX-5.

Of the 3 cars in your list, the Elise is by far the purest, most focused and ultimately rewarding cars to drive if you take it seriously. It will be loud and rattly but will give the biggest grin and draw the most attention.

SLK is fine, I've not actually been in one, but I believe they are well regarded. It will be expensive to buy, worth a decent chunk of your initial investment a few years down the line, and is German in a way only German cars can be. Not as rewarding but much more comfortable and dependable.

MX-5 is somewhere in the middle.

The descision is yours.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You know better than to ask, do what the wife wants or you'll regret it for years!

Reply to
XS11E

Ummm... - the wife wanted an slk. I suggest the OP reads the forum here:

Me

Ouch! Scary stuff. I like Lanny's take on it; go spend a bit of time in each, think with the mind and the heart, not just one and you'll know which one is right for you. Trust me the Miata is a platform that can be enjoyed stock or taken to almost any level in any given direction. Tweaking to your personal tastes is what's a big part of the fun with these little roadsters.

Please keep us posted though, even if you go with something other than a Miata. Personally for me, the Z3 M Roadsters are very tempting these days too!

Good luck! Chris

99BBB >
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Repairs are cheaper than divorce. Do what she wants or live to regret it. You must have never been married?

The OPs only hope is to get the wife to love the Miata.....

Reply to
XS11E

I was surprised to learn that the weight gain is less that 200 lbs, probably in the ballpark of a turbo Miata.

I can only imagine what one would be like to drive.

Reply to
Carbon

Boy, that'd be hard. You'd have to let her drive it at least once.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. VERY educational! Please excuse the aggregate reply...

Not short but otherwise OK. I have sat in both. The Elise reminded me of a description from the sixties (Can't recall which car, I think it may have been something in Road & Track); shoehorn to get in, corkscrew to get out... :-) The SLK hood disappears 2 inches past the windshield, from the driver's seat hard to gauge exactly where the corners are.

My main objection to the Elise is actually also an issue with the MX-5: noise. In the case of the MX-5, the needlessly high RPMs at highway speeds. The first mod to consider may be a ring and pinion swap.

I'm at an age where boring is beginning to sound good. :-) However thanks to the link provided, we have read the numerous problem reports and I think MB is out of contention at this point.

reasonable price.

Which brings up another tangent, What about a used, say 2nd gen. Miata? The thinking here is, if I go with a Mazda and we do not love it, the initial depreciation on a six-month old car is a huge and needless waste, whereas I would probably lose nothing on a 2002-2005 model.

Umm, no thanks. I briefly owned a used 325i from the 80s. The car was nice enough, as long as you did not have to have anything fixed. Plus I don't find the looks sexy or luxurious. In my opinion the "pleasure and prestige" of having a bimmer does not justify the cost of ownership. Just not a fan of the blue and white.

worse than many motorcycles.

I guess that decides that. I know I would enjoy weekend outings but I want something flexible enough to be a daily driver when needed. Plus a chunk of my driving is on the highway where "handling" is not a factor. We might do the odd Solo-I, other than that there are no plans for any track time.

Not sure what you mean. I consider myself a part of the "two-seater" demographic. I even looked at an R8, but letting eldest son loose in one of those killed that idea fast. (Yes, I realize he can damage himself seriously even in a Prius...)

My big beef is that the current crop of "sports" cars have zero room behind the seats for your laptop and whatnot. I briefly considered and older 500SL (R129 series), but that starts to get too big and heavy for my taste.

these little roadsters.

Tweaking, absolutely. Going to a V8? Too much time and trouble! I would search for a Sunbeam Tiger instead.

Ha ha ha! Loved that.

Don't want to go off on another tangent, nor to offend anyone, I consider myself blessed because my wife was not born or raised here. Different culture, different attitude.

cheers

Don

Reply to
Don Q

Excellent idea. Don't ignore the first-gens, either, which many prefer. Condition is everything, mileage less important as long as the price reflects it. After all, we're talking under $4k for a decent 1994-97, and it's reasonable to expect 250k miles without major repairs from a well-maintained Miata. If you don't like it, you can probably flip it with virtually no loss.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Don't apologize for that response, it was pretty comprehensive! Don, you've come around to my way of thinking. My first (92) Miata carried me faithfully for 5 yrs and 75k miles and I sold it (somewhat improved) for about $500 less than I paid for it! Current 99 was an incredible bargain (imho) with

40k on the clock and I've spent between 5 and 6 years putting 75k on it. I can still get most of my money back out of this one if I could ever convince myself to part with it ;-) It's very nearly the perfect car for me (and maybe you, it sounds like). I can rat race it around to my hearts content and get 25 mpg. I can easily take the wife and run off for a weekend trip. With a trunk rack or a mini trailer, there would be few limitations! Trust me, you'll never regret it. Jump in and give it a whirl, you can't lose!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The son is a little hesitant. Apparently in some circles this Mazda has a somewhat sissy image, a chick car or a hairdresser's car were the terms he has heard.

I myself am too old and too comfortable in who/what I am to worry about such things but when one is young peer pressure can be strong.

Nevertheless I believe we are soon to join the Miata family. I am guessing that the number of girls calling him will double and the nasty comments will fade away.

Thanks to all for the solid advice. I'm lucky to have found this NG.

cheers

Don

Reply to
Don Q

The Miata is indeed a "girl's car." Women love it. Among my personal experiences:

A Camaro passed me, and the driver's pretty girlfriend rolled down the window, leaned halfway out, and yelled "Nice car!" at 60 mph. The boyfriend was presumably not amused.

More than a couple of times, I've returned to the Miata in a mall parking lot to find it surrounded by women.

A woman on a Harley (!) pulled up next to me at a stoplight and offered to swap rides.

Guys with mullets have every reason to feel threatened by Miatas!

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Mullets! That was priceless. Thanks,

Reply to
Don Q

I wanted to get a mullet in honor of the new Camaro, but I no longer have enough hair on top to pull this look off, so I must settle for a "skullet".

Reply to
pws

Good research Pat! I can't wait to see you with that skullet!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Pictures to be posted soon...........Nah, I couldn't do that to ya'll.

Pat

Reply to
pws