Next level above stock shocks

I'm not looking for adjustable shocks. I just want better than the Miata stock shocks on my 1991 Miata.

How are the Tokico HP shocks, compared to the stock ones:

(1) Ride?

(2) Noise?

Reply to
Pat

You may want to look at bilsteins. That is way came on the R models.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The HP is a poor choice for the Miata. I had them until one puked its oil at only 17k miles, when I replaced them with Konis. HPs ride very harshly, yet lack the control you'd expect of such a stiff shock, even with stock springs. All pain, no gain.

Set full soft, the Konis ride nearly as softly as stock, with excellent control of excess motion. They're much more sophisticated in their damping calibration, and easily justify the extra money, even if you never adjust them. Mine are still perfect after 50k miles.

My next door neighbor is delighted with the KYB AGX shocks on his '90. He sets them on "2"--about the same as stock--and toodles around town with the standard large Miata grin. If the AGX had been available when I did my Konis, I would've bought them instead and saved a few bucks.

Look at it this way: considering the effort/cost of installation, you won't save anything buying another set of shocks that won't outlast your Miata. Do it right, and never touch them again. Koni and AGX both seem to last essentially forever on the street. If they do show some wear, just adjust them a little tighter.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers