NMC: Pat - Bike Shop in Austin

No Miata Content.

Pat: According to a mountain biking friend of mine in Austin, the best bike shop in town is Bicycle Sport Shop.

Spring is here. Get on out there, buy a new mountain bike with your ill-gotten eBay gains and break a few bones. Please post photos.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

I have heard good things about them, but have never been in. A friend of mine bought his bike there, iirc.

Ill-gotten! I have a new batch of quality goods to list tomorrow, only the finest from bubba-rock. Do you need 124 Louis L'amour paperback books? Well, I have 'em, and so much more....

Photos of the new mountain bike or the broken bones? No Lanny and Leon, no voting on this one.

My 24 year old Ross Mt. Whitney gets me along fine, besides, I make this guy look like a rookie, it's all in the rider. ;-)

Anti-Saint Patrick

Reply to
pws

"pws" wrote

Hmm. Sorry if that appeared to be spam. I thought I remembered a thread where you were looking for bike purchasing advice. Perhaps that was before all your time was taken up in the auto dismantling and frou-frou household item resale business.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

No, not at all, you are remembering correctly. I do want a more modern mountain bike. This old dinosaur is kind of nifty but it heavy and lacks

24 years worth of development.

I need to include the price of a hitch and carrier if I am going to ride any real trails. I am hoping to eventually live in a situation where I ride more and drive less.

I rode the Mt. Whitney that I was given in 1983 on and off for almost 20 years until it really, really needed to be replaced. It still rides, though quite roughly. I lost interest for a few years, and then found an identical one in mint condition, (on Ebay, if you can imagine that), and got back into riding.

Do you have a particular brand that you are partial to? I have never actually purchased a new bicycle for myself.

Pat

Reply to
pws

"pws" wrote

I really like Bridgestones, which have not been sold in the U.S. since 1994. Sort of like preferring an NA over a new NC. Any of the major brands (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale) would probably be fine. The best thing to do is go to a reputable bike shop, tell them what kind of riding you want to do and how much you want to spend (then double it) and see what they advise. This is why I gave you a shop name, not a bike brand. Don TRUE

has staked his reputation on BSS, so if they don't treat you right, just let him know.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Are you talking about a Bridgestone bicycle like this or one with front and/or rear suspension?

There are not many being sold. Either they were not sold in huge numbers here, the owners are holding onto them, or both.

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

"pws" wrote

Sort of like that.. But the MB-5 was pretty far down the scale of MB-1 through MB-6. (There was a MB-0 or MB-Zip as well.) I have an MB-2. Grant didn't put any suspension on the Bridgestone mountain bikes until 1994 and then it was too late. I see owning a Bridgestone like owning an original Mini. A little quirky with better value available in newer products. It's a cult.

Sheldon Brown has all sorts of Bridgestone stuff:

Ken

Reply to
Ken Lyons