No Miata yet....

I apparently misunderstood when I thought the paint shop said I'd get the car back last Friday, they called my yesterday morning and said it would be done this coming Friday, the twentytooth. Too bad, we're having good top down weather and my new tires are still waiting for a test drive around a curve or two.... maybe a quick dash up 191 would break them in a bit?

For those who haven't driven/ridden it, the Coronado Trail makes the "Tail of the Dragon" look like a straight, high speed highway.

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote: snip...

There are probably any number of roads that would fill that specification. It just depends on what you want to get yourself into and how willing you are to find that parts of the only road have disappeared down the cliff and how willing you are to pay the price for fuel that was pushing $4/gallon ten years ago. No telling what it is now but since there is only one pump along the route you just gotta' take it . For example, drive Mattole Rd. from Ferndale, CA, down to and along the "Lost Coast", to Wilder Ridge Rd., and then to Rockport, CA. While you are at it you might well just keep driving down the more-traveled part of the Coast Highway which is wonderful all the time. Well, except when a storm is blowing in and waves are breaking over the highway or when Devil's Slide has collapsed into the ocean again...

Reply to
John McGaw

I particularly like the southern part, where the state saved a fortune on yellow signage by simply making the speed limit 10 mph. Some of the turns require first gear.

Oh yeah, I kept it under 10, youbetcha...

John's right about the road falling into the canyon, though. Plenty of gravel in some of the turns, too. This is a dangerous road if you don't exercise some common sense.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Every year a flock of geese and ducks (Moto Guzzis and Ducatis) used to leave Tucson and ride to Ruidoso, NM for the big rally there, they'd race over US 191. They always had a wreck or two and, I think, one guy killed himself on the road. I never rode with those guys...

I've made many trips up there on the bike and of all the people riding along we only had one crash. It was gravel that got him, of course. I always respected that road and I had a speed limiter, I usually rode with SWMBO on the back and if I went too fast I'd stop breathing, when I slowed down she'd relax her grip and I could inhale again.....

Reply to
XS11E

I just got back from a trip to SW Wisconsin, there are some marvelous roads there. This year the gravel wasn't too bad but there was more "stuff" from cows and horses...

miker

Reply to
miker

Years back on the BMW list there was an Englishman who lived is SE Asia. He wrote about triangular yellow cautions signs with pictures elephants and mentioned just how slippery the road could get if you rode around a curve fast into a pile of elephant droppings, plus the concern that if you really spooked an elephant or a herd of elephants, you could be in SERIOUS trouble... the mahout(s) can deal with most emergencies but not panic.

Reply to
XS11E

Yow!

Reminds me of my all-time favorite mens-mag cartoon... all the blind men are standing around the elephant feeling it's side, leg, trunk, etc... about 10 feet behind the elephant is one more blind man, who says "The Elephant is soft and squishy!" :)

miker

Reply to
miker

Danged if a search didn't find him and his web pages:

the first two pictures. All of Graham's motorcycle pages:

XS11E

I was just reminiscing about my attempted trip to drive 191 in late 06 IIRC. Didn't make it there! I would love to be able to make the comparison myself!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo