no oil pressure

Hi all,

I started my 97 miata today for the first time in a month and started down the road, and first I noticed that the engine didn't sound right, then I noticed that there was no oil pressure. I came right back and parked it. car only ran for about 3 minutes. Can the average joe, check for something? or should I get my mechanic to look at it asap. I did check if there was oil, and yes it is full. does anyone know if these cars are prone to oil pump failure? is there a fuse I can check?

any help is appreciated, Ron

Reply to
ron

"ron" wrote in news:bMzjh.37077$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

You need it checked, have it towed, do not drive it. If the engine sounded wrong there's probably some damage already, don't make it worse.

Not that I know of.

No, while the oil pressure gauge is electrical, a blown fuse won't make the engine sound differently.

Reply to
XS11E

"ron" wrote

Well, *I* know they are. My '97 had an oil pump go bad. Or rather came off the assembly line with a bad oil pump that became evident three years later. There are other stories of '97s doing this. Not every one, mind you, but when it happens to you that doesn't matter. I was lucky that mine was not a sudden failure, just a fluctuation of the fake oil pressure gauge at idle. I caught it early on and had the pump replaced before it caused major damage. Others weren't so fortunate.

Search the Miata.net forum for "97 oil pump".

Tow it, don't drive it. Have a mechanical pressure check done. If it initially reads normal, make sure they warm it up fully and then jack the front end of the car up. It took me two trips to PBC before Joey was able to see the fluctuating pressure. Oh...and this isn't a cheap repair. The best way to get to the oil pump is to pull the engine. Should be about $1200.

Reply to
Ken Lyons