O2 sensor replacement

My 99 now has ~81k and the CEL came on the other day. I checked the code and it indicates the #2 O2 sensor (down stream from the cat) is not sending a signal. I scooted under the car and fiddled around with it a bit. I saw where it into the interior of the car through the floor board behind the drivers seat. I dug around there a bit but w/o removing parts it wasn't obvious how near / far it might be to the connections. Anybody know?

In addition, after piddling around with it, the CEL light didn't come on the last couple times I started it. Is this related or just temporary, and the light will be back on in the next couple of days? Do I just have to wait and see?

One other thing; while I was at AutoZone I checked their price for the sensor. It's $150 for the direct replacement and about $75 for the "universal" which the guy tells me means that I'd have to cut some wires and splice in connectors. I don't have a problem with splicing 4 wires in to save $75 as long as I can figure out which wire goes to which wire. Any idea how much difficulty that might be? Am I missing something here? Anybody gotten a significantly better price somewhere else?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

How about $61.27 for a Bosch replacement that plugs right in?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Oops, that is $61.27 for the Denso unit. The Bosch replacement is $72.19. The wires are all color-coded if you do end up splicing one in.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Chuck

Except that that one still requires reuse of the old connector. The Bosch unit that plugs in directly is $128.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Very cool!

Thanks, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Ahhh, did not see that. It looks like the Denso plugs in, unless the picture is wrong.

I have the Bosch universal spliced into my system. Kinda cool that it sits facing upwards because of the turbo, very easy to get to.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Good catch, I think you're right.

Chris,

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Since I had the code checked and went under and played around with the wires, the CEL has gone off! Maybe I hadn't tightened the gas cap properly like some folks have had happen. I don't know but for now I'm pretty happy about it.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Just as a rough guess, I would say that I have dealt with a CEL about

100 times, including other people's cars. In at least 9 out of 10 cases, either tightening the gas cap or replacing it solved the problem.

I remember working with a lady who had a minivan that would not start. My first question, as always, is whether it had gas in it. She said yes, but no gas cap. I sealed the opening with my palm, had her crank it and it started up after a few tries.

She had been driving around for several days without the fuel cap. I told her, in a nice way, that it was a pretty vital part of the fuel system.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I assume that since my aging 58 yr. old body can barely get my shoulder under my 2000 Miata to feel under the oil filter, that you had to put your car up on ramps or jack stands to be able to do this??? Since I'm all thumbs most of the time when it comes to car problems, I guess that I would just bite the bullet and pay to have it done, if it were anything other than the gas cap, not being on properly.

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

Ya, I've got the Rhino ramps and I use the sh_t out of them. Between changing oil on somewhere between 5 and 7 cars at any given time and doing everything on the miata and most everything on the others, they're lifesavers!

Chris

99BBB (still no CEL)
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Chris>>Do you place the ramps down on the driveway, so that the rest of the car is level, when draining the oil??

Reply to
S K

No, never worried about that. IIRC the drain plug is toward the back so a bit of rearward tilt is no problem for draining. I've found it doesn't make much of a difference even when refilling and checking dip stick. Of course, to be safe / accurate, you should dbl check oil level when you get the car back to level and add if necessary.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

How do you rotate your wheels with your car on ramps? ;-)

I would use the ramps, and have before, but I rotate the wheels almost every time I change the oil, so I usually go ahead and pull out the jack and stands.

I also re-lube the brake slider pins about once every 3 oil changes or so, and just find it easier to do all at once.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Funny you ask that. I've done it several times w/o issue (to allow me to contort myself and get in there to the oil filter) but last time I kind got myself in a bind. One tire was right up against the 'stop' at the end of the ramp, the other was not. When I rotated my wheels, the one against the stop, rotated the ramp! Sh_t, the other tire wasn't right against and rotated on the hard plastic as I had done previously. It was pretty interesting getting them back straightened out! I ended up having to get my wife to turn the wheel while I 'coaxed' the ramp back around. Word to the wise, stay back just a touch on the ramps if you're going to be rotating the steering wheel ;-)

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo