odometer, speedometer, cruise control

Ok guys, so while she's in the shop for the overheating repairs, I'm hoping that this new mechanic that friends have recommended can figure out why my odometer, speedometer and cruise control all quit. The tach and gas gauge do both work just fine. The last 2 shops didn't have a clue. Any ideas? Thank you soo much! Deb

Reply to
deb.mcmahan

Sounds like a broken speedometer cable. I'm not sure what a new cable runs, but installing it is not a big job.

The fact that two shops have been unable to fix it seems strange.

It has to be either the cable or the instrument cluster, (or both), for your speedometer and odometer, as they are mechanical, with nothing electrical to stop them.

In fact, you can completely remove the entire instrument cluster and speedometer cable on a 1990-1997 Miata, leave them hooked together, and if you spin the cable gear fast enough, it will still operate the speedometer and odometer.

The fact that your other indicators like the tach are still working makes me think it is cable. Also, the speedometer cable fails far more frequently than the speedometer/odometer itself.

Did your cruise control go out at the same time as the speedometer and odometer or before?

Keep us posted and good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws