Oil Change doltism

After changing the oil in my '91, I moved the car to check for leaks and there, lo and behold, shining brightly on the ground, was the washer for the oil plug. Like I said, I'm checking for leaks now, but does anyone feel this is important enough to redo the change? Or have I irrevocably locked the drain plug and need to drill it out???? Argh, the paranoia grows.

BTW, though this is probably an old topic to some, since it's new to me, I'll rant like the newby I am. Everyone in these parts seems to complain about the difficulty in changing oil, to the extent that they buy "oil filter relocation" devices. Since I've had my Miata, I've always thought the oil change exceedingly simple, with the filter being about the easiest part (true, I do have smallish hands). The hardest part is having to jack up my lowered car to get to the oil plug.

Though unimportant in light of the doltism I committed above (really, I need an answer, guys/gals), I was wondering if anyone else felt as I did.

DonB '91 White w/light FAI (5lbs)

Reply to
DonB

As long as you didn't over-torque the drain plug, it will come back out without any problems. A number of people here have done the same thing (forgotten the washer) and had no problems with leaking. I would just keep an eye out for leaks until the next change, and I might even check to be sure that the drain plug is still tight after a week or so, though that probably is not necessary.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Reply to
glenf

The issue kinda took care of itself. I'd left a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks, and though very little, the leak was enough that I decided to coat my hands with fresh synthetic oil and play clown in the flow. Only lost about a quart or so.

D>After changing the oil in my '91, I moved the car to check for leaks

Reply to
DonB

Been there and done that. Mine didn't leak and there was no problem removing the drain plug. I'm using the Fram Sure Drain now ($11 or $12 at Wally World, Part #SD2) This permanently eliminates having to remove the drain plug, and using tools. The hose screws on to the permanent screw in drain valve, opens the valve and allows the oil to flow out slowly without splashing. The hose on the valve opener lets you easily direct the oil flow into the container with zero mess. When you get done a brass cover cap protects the drain threads.

Michael Cain

97 Black & Tan
Reply to
Michael V. Cain Sr.