Oil leak - Please Help - URGENT

Hi

I've got the chance to buy a 323F 2.0 V6 (Year: 1997)but there are a few concerns:

The car comes with no service history at all which worries me but, mostly I am concerned about an oil leak. It seems to be leaking quite badly from several places around (what I think is called - & I'm no expert) the top of the cylinder head casing (the "cover" plate which incorporates the oil filler cap - where the lettering "V6 24 Valve" appears). If it won't be too expensive to fix I don't mind but I don't want to get stung so I thought I'd post a message here in the hope that a Mazda enthusiast might be able to give me some idea of what I'm getting into.

The car is priced at £2200 which is pretty good. I've wanted one of these for years but I think my eagerness is blinding me to the car's faults.

I'd be very grateful for any advice. Please reply ASAP.

Many thanks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

That would be leaking valve cover gaskets which are not that expensive. They would probably cost about $20.00 US. If you know so very little about car engines, I would suggest you have a mechanic that you trust look at the car. The leaking valve covers could be leaking oil down over your engine and hiding other oil leaks that you think are from the valve cover. You could have a rear main crankshaft seal leaking and think that the oil ran down from the top of the engine. Replacing a rear crankshaft seal WOULD be expensive. John

Reply to
John

Thanks for the info John. I'll take your advice & get someone to look at it.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob